Rare Barn Find Mesa

What's Hot
tomajohatomajoha Frets: 906
Found this beauty clearing a barn (literally). I think it belonged to my sister in law when she was in a sixth form indie girl band.

valves seem intact!

0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28312
    A Boogie you can pick up with one hand? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    The level of detail on that is really quite impressive. You can actually identify it as a MkIII, and it appears to be a non-reverb model...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 906
    ICBM said:
    The level of detail on that is really quite impressive. You can actually identify it as a MkIII, and it appears to be a non-reverb model...
    Agreed, I'm not sure it needed that level of detail on the back of the amp but someone obviously took their work seriously?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    Based on those graphic EQ settings the previous owner was more Metallica than Santana.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • That's pretty cool. Were they an official thing given away with new amps or 3rd party? If 3rd party I wonder if they made a whole range of amps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That's pretty cool. Were they an official thing given away with new amps or 3rd party? If 3rd party I wonder if they made a whole range of amps.
    No idea, if anyone has a similar one or any information, I'd love to know

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    edited February 28
    Based on those graphic EQ settings the previous owner was more Metallica than Santana.
    The classic Mesa ‘deep V’, which you need to put back the bass and treble you took off the (pre-distortion) standard EQ, otherwise it sounds bloated and buzzy, and cut the mids you added too much of to make it responsive…

The pre/post EQ arrangement is very unusual and useful, and being able to auto-switch the graphic onto the lead channel even more so. You still can’t get the claimed Marshall sound out of R2 though, the gain structure and EQ is too different.

The real problem is that the completely shared EQ makes it impossible to get three - or even two, really - great sounds at the same time. You want the bass and treble up and the mids down on the clean channel, but the opposite on R2 and even more so on the lead, and even with all the pull-switch options it's a struggle to balance them. I still think it has the best lead channel of any Boogie though - I don't get the special love for the MKIIC.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CatthanCatthan Frets: 357
    ^^
    I think nowadays you can balance the eq differences with tech like a helix which can control the channel switching and add missing frequencies with a dedicated clean channel preset

The 2c special love is more about how nice the amp feels to play under the fingers and less about how special it sounds. it doesn’t sound any more special than a 3, 4 or 5. i.e they all sound good. 
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1293
    Have you tried dialling it in yet?
    KrisGee said:
    Disappointing really, sounds a bit boxy...
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    That’s a belter .
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28312
    tomajoha said:
    KrisGee said:
    And rather thin? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    tomajoha said:
    KrisGee said:
    And rather thin? 
    Well, now that you've brooched it...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom