Nashville and Memphis tips / recommendations

What's Hot
HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9676
Mrs9000 are thinking of a week or so there in the autumn. Obviously there’s the music stuff (Sun Studios, Grand Old Opry, Rymans, etc), but what about other stuff? Although my wife enjoys music she wouldn’t want the break to be wall-to-wall music. So what else is there? I’m aware of paddle-steamer trips, Jack Daniel’s distillery but not much else as yet.

Any recommendations (restaurants, hotels, areas to stay, other activities or must-sees) would be appreciated.

Also, how essential is it to have a car either for a few days, or the duration? I guess there’s going to be plenty of people selling tours where we’d be bussed to places such as Gracelands?

Currently thinking two full days in Memphis, sandwiched in the middle of a week or so in Nashville.

Thanks in advance.
I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27007
    I haven't been to Memphis but did a few days in Nashville in 2018. 

- Carter Vintage (probably the best shop in the world and they're opening a new bigger store in a few days)
    - Gruhn's 
    - Corner Music
    - Gibson Garage
    - The North American Guitar
    - Rumble Seat
    - even Guitar Centre is pretty good in Nashville, or at least it was then. 
    - Third Man Records
    - RCA Studios
    - Musicians Hall of Fame
    - Opry - avoid the new venue but go to an old school Opry show at the Ryman. Actually, even better, go in October and see one of Jason Isbell's residency shows. 
    - We did a great historic walking tour - I can look it up if useful 

Food: 
    Peg Leg Porker BBQ
    Hattie B's 
    Husk 
    Etch 
    Catbird Seat is meant to be awesome but we didn't go. 

Overall I'd say a car is helpful but not essential. We ubered/taxied around and the centre is quite walkable.

We stayed in a B&B near Gruhn's - the Timothy Demonbreun house. Lovely place with great breakfasts. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • We found Memphis to be a bit tired compared to Nashville.
    Sun studio was great, Graceland seemed like a wasted opportunity. The house was good, but the warehouses over the road - Lots of stuff to see, but no real theme. This was especially noticeable having previously been round the Country Music Hall of Fame, which had a chronological approach & was much better lit.
    We got one of the multi attraction tickets from the tourist place. Used it for the Ryman.  Also did one of the bus tours which was interesting.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9676

- We did a great historic walking tour - I can look it up if useful 

Please.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    If you are in Nashville of a Monday, then I would recommend most highly seeing the Time Jumpers:

Most amazing band I've seen.

You'll need to get tickets in advance.

• sw67sw67 Frets: 231
    We went to Nashville as our last stop Mon to Thursday but our flight home was cancelled. We hated the Friday as it was wall to wall Hen and Stag parties. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9676
     ^ Thanks - looks great @jpfamps ;
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10412
    We did Nashville and Memphis but it was back in 2014 so I expect a fair bits changed. Had quite a few great night in Broadway, saw a great line up at the Grand ole Oprey. Went exploring off the beaten track which we always do in America but nearly come unstuck in Memphis ... that can be a dangerous city for a tourist if you wander far from the Beal and the other safe places. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    edited March 4
    I’m jealous! I was supposed to go Memphis in early April 2020, but COVID put a stop to it & we still haven’t been.

Things we had booked & planned were:

Gracelands - Elvis Presley’s home
    Sun Studio
    Stax Museum of American Soul Music
    NBA game - Memphis Grizzlies we’re playing a home game, on the dates we were supposed to be there.

Edit: I was watching a Corey Congilio video & he spoke about playing in his favourite venue in Nashville called The Underdog: https://www.theunderdognashville.com/

https://youtu.be/bTbTs9axIWk?feature=shared
  • Forgot to mention. The National Civil Right Museum.
    https://www.civilrightsmuseum.org/