Overdrive and Distortion Pedal suggestions

What's Hot
spev11spev11 Frets: 333
So lets say you have up to £199 to spend in one particular place, you want an overdrive and a distortion (as you have a Plethora X3 for all the modulation bar Wah that you could want) what would you go for? The amp is an Orange CR60C.
Go for it, but I'm not spending more than the £199 but I'll happily buy used and spend less
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spev11spev11 Frets: 333
    to clarify I play everything (badly)from Gojira through Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Dinosaur Jr, Nirvana,Pink Floyd, shreddy, djenty, clean, country picking, folk, pop,blues, hip hop and anything else that floats my boat. I'm not really looking to sound like anybody though, giving my poor sloppy playing I can barely sound like me nevermind anybody else
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1679
    Second hand Boss OD-200 would be within budget and cover all that.
    I had an OD-200 and couldnt get on with the whole setting it up programming it (it was good and I know it was me) it fell into the whole menu thing. The only multi effect that hasn't succumbed to my dislike of menu driving has been the Plethora (so far).
    Im not ruling out 2 in one pedals if someone does a drive and distortion two in one jobbie though
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17626
    edited February 29 tFB Trader
    I was about to say OD-200

In which case I'd say the MXR Super Badass which is the most versatile distortion I know.

Also might be worth saying what your amp is as that makes a massive difference. (Doh sorry missed that!)

Another versatile option would be the Boss Angry Driver. 
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    JHS series 3 distortion or overdrive? I have the latter and it sounds quite nice and is versatile.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
    Current amp is an Orange Crush Pro 60C , I shall check out the MXR and the JHS options.ta
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3468
    I use an SD1 and DS1, it works pretty well.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    That was my initial pairing but I thought I’d ask, I’m just gonna get them I think, I like how they sound in my WAZA air headphones 
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 659
    I'd go TS type and a Rat, covers a lot of bases and stack well.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2584
    Plumes and some sort of Rat or clone. Assuming amp's got decent headroom, you'd be able to do everything from super clean to almost muff like fuzz.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • FezFez Frets: 525
    Thorpy Gunshot or dane though TBH can't go far wrong with the boss option
    Don't touch that dial.
  • ChoivertChoivert Frets: 64
    I'd go with a TS (love my Maxon OD9) and a DS1/Rat. Both pedals would be within budget. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72390
    SD-1/DS-1 or TS-9/Rat.

The BD-2 can be a substitute for the DS-1 if you want a more bluesy and less metally distortion - it's more of a distortion than an overdrive.

All those combinations stack very well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited March 1
    If you are going to go for a Rat, try the Jam Pedals Rattler. It's a little more expensive but used, you could pick one up and a TS pedal, even a TS mini, within your budget.

I tried the Rattler recently and it's got more range, gain and IMHO, a more pleasing tone to the Pro-Co Rat.
    I had a rat clone that I didn’t/couldn’t get on with and I’ve never been a fan of tubescreamers so current front runners are boss ds1 and sd1 . A lot depends on the particular companies stock as I’m tied to spending there.
    ta for the advice so far, much to think about 
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    You need one of each of these:
    1. Tubescreamer, Boss BD2 or SD1
    2. Boss DS1 or Proco Rat
    3. EHX Big Muff (nothing else will do the dinosaur jr stuff as well)

All possible within your £199
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3968
    T Rex Mudhoney II is cabable of both overdrive and distortion. It works like two channels so you can’t stack, but it works well and sounds great. Cheap too…
    Ive got an Ibanez Mini Fuzz, I feel a rabbit hole of 12 or so different drives living on their own pedal board coming :)
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4789
    T Rex Mudhoney II is cabable of both overdrive and distortion. It works like two channels so you can’t stack, but it works well and sounds great. Cheap too
    Good shout. As is the T-Rex Moller 2, which is an overdrive and a clean boost which can be stacked or used independently. 
    As I'm a tight arse I've just ordered a TSMini and a Mooer Black secret so a TS and a RAT , will see how they go tomorrow.

I don't doubt I'll be back here soon with more silly questions