New pedal steel guitar. 1964 Fender 400

What's Hot
jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
edited March 1 in Other Instruments
Just got this 1964 Fender 400 off Reverb, with a view to playing some retro (late 50's early 60's Ralph Mooney / Jimmy Day style) pedal steel guitar on it.

These are not especially sort after by modern pedal steelers as they are only 8 string, have no knee levers, only a single raise / lower on each strings, and the cable mechanism is slacker than rods.

However a ton of great players used these old old 8 string Fenders (often the double neck 1000 model) including Ralph Mooney, Alvino Ray, Tom Brumley, Al Perkins and Sneaky Pete Kleinow at some times in there careers.

I've got it set up for E13th, with 4 of the 5 Ralph Mooney changes + a couple of other changes that allow me to swap between E13th and B6th.

On my double 8 string I use E13th and A6th, so this should allow me to play what I'm already doing, but with some retro pedal steel sounds.

Also I find the string spacing really comfortable, unlike many PSGs where is much closer together to accomodate the extra strings.

The most pressing issues seems to be what footwear is best for playing it!
0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
    That’s lovely in a restrained sort of way. 

I’m dabbling with C6 lap steel but am yet to find a teacher. I think a pedal is a long way off!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2418
    Oooh, that's lovely. Did you find that in the UK, or did you have to import it?

It's amazing how much difference shoes make to playing pedal steel! I have two pairs of Skechers that look almost identical but because the heel is built up on one pair, I can't get my right leg under.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    edited March 1
    Stuckfast said:
    Oooh, that's lovely. Did you find that in the UK, or did you have to import it?

It's amazing how much difference shoes make to playing pedal steel! I have two pairs of Skechers that look almost identical but because the heel is built up on one pair, I can't get my right leg under.

I got it from the US.

Although I'm quiet tall, there is plenty of space under the steel, which is good as the legs aren't adjustable, which was a concern of mine.

Mind you I think that the height of the steel becomes much more of an issue when you have knee levers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 1

Matt_McG said:
    That’s lovely in a restrained sort of way. 

I’m dabbling with C6 lap steel but am yet to find a teacher. I think a pedal is a long way off!

There is a real dearth of instructional material for lap steel, and most of what there is concerns what notes to play.

If you're in London and can get to Denmark St. I can give you some pointers.

The main issue I've found is the right hand, and getting a good palm blocking technique.
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1425
    Some clips would be very interesting, if you're able.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    It's beyond me, but I'll be bringing it into the workshop once I've fully sorted the pedals etc out and I'll try to get some sound clips done.

• icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 368
    Very nice, take care not to lose any nuts and bolts from underneath as you will struggle to find any American standard thread in the UK 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72497
    icu81b4 said:
    Very nice, take care not to lose any nuts and bolts from underneath as you will struggle to find any American standard thread in the UK 
    I think it’s only an amp repairer in Glasgow who habitually loses all the original screws and bolts ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10563
    tFB Trader
    jpfamps said:
    Just got this 1964 Fender 400 off Reverb, with a view to playing some retro (late 50's early 60's Ralph Mooney / Jimmy Day style) pedal steel guitar on it.

These are not especially sort after by modern pedal steelers as they are only 8 string, have no knee levers, only a single raise / lower on each strings, and the cable mechanism is slacker than rods.

However a ton of great players used these old old 8 string Fenders (often the double neck 1000 model) including Ralph Mooney, Alvino Ray, Tom Brumley, Al Perkins and Sneaky Pete Kleinow at some times in there careers.

I've got it set up for E13th, with 4 of the 5 Ralph Mooney changes + a couple of other changes that allow me to swap between E13th and B6th.

On my double 8 string I use E13th and A6th, so this should allow me to play what I'm already doing, but with some retro pedal steel sounds.

Also I find the string spacing really comfortable, unlike many PSGs where is much closer together to accomodate the extra strings.

The most pressing issues seems to be what footwear is best for playing it!
    That's lovely I was always fascinated with pedal steel as a kid as my dad knew a couple of pedal players and I got to go to gigs to see them quite young - and my uncle was a lap steel player. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom