Are 5e3s considered to be a bright amp?

What's Hot
KurasKuras Frets: 72
I ask because I am looking fit either a Celestion Ruby, Gold or Cream. After reading a load of reviews it seems like..

Ruby’s - mid heavy
Gold - aggresive
Cream - lacking a bit of treble/a smooth speaker 

But with these descriptions brings so dependant on the amp… is a 5e3 bright? A Cream might be perfect if that’s the case, as the Blue was a little aggressive for me and I had limited use for the bright channel for what I am looking for.  

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mo6020mo6020 Frets: 366
    Not particularly bright. They're mid focussed and a bit flubby and typically need the treble dimed on them to get them going. I love them.

I think alnico blues are the sweet spot for 5e3s, personally, but YMMV.
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8492
    Agreed - not that bright. I think of them as a particularly middy amp, no glassy top end etc. Switch to something like an AC15 and you notice the extra treble extension.
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2529
    Played one at a meet up courtesy of @Winny_Pooh - It had a Celestion Blue and sounded glorious. Not bright, but nice and chewy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KurasKuras Frets: 72
    Thanks. That’s raised a good point in terms of describing sound and I’m getting treble confused with mid/upper mid. The answer that 5e3s are mid heavy rather than toppy and I need to find the alnico Celestion which has slightly less mids but has that blue character.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8492
    To be honest, if the blue was too aggressive the cream might be just right. I think the blue is perfect because it has a quickness to it - you play something funky and fast and the attack feels immediate, whereas on the cream everything felt thicker, heavier and slower. But if you hear that quickness as aggression, maybe the cream will be the answer.

Or... dare I say it, an old Pulsonic coned alnico. They are less aggressive in the upper mids than a modern blue, I think they're very special but expensive these days. There's a 16 ohm one on eBay that I nearly pulled the trigger on, but unless your 5e3 has a 16 ohm tap probably not ideal for you.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    A friend of mine has a cream alnico in his Tweed Deluxe, sounds great. Not as poky as the blue which I also like and I like bright amps.

The Tweed Deluxe is mid heavy, When you crank the tone control it pushes treble and high mids forwards, you could reduce the treble cap a little to reduce the high mid content if you find it to harsh in your ear hole.

So far for me the Cream Alnico works with every vintage amp I have tried them with.
  • KurasKuras Frets: 72
    Yeah. From what I’ve read and heard online. It seems like the cream is the way to go. Without the fear of blowing the Blue up!
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5048
    Like a lot of people I think a Blue is just about perfect in a 5e3 amp, plus they can handle a lot more power than their 15 watts rating would suggest. Shame you don’t like it. Are you sure it’s not your particular amp that’s overly bright rather than the speaker being the issue? If it’s a kit-built amp someone could have done some modding unbeknownst to you. Something to think about maybe before you go down the speaker changing rabbit hole… Good luck with it.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    My 5e3 is less bright than most. I swapped out my blue for a Jensen bb40, happier as it feels less dark and mid heavy.

• markjmarkj Frets: 914
    No not at all. My Gartone 5e3 that’s for sale on the forum is warm and sweet sounding.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    I would describe a 5E3 as fat (or phatt if you prefer) rather than bright. They are well known for their big bottom end that flatters Strats and Teles.
  • Signman62Signman62 Frets: 31
    When my 1959 P12R blew I went with 1960's C12N

• DominicDominic Frets: 16102
    Mine is quite dark sounding even with a Blue......which makes a tele or Strat a perfect marriage 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9542
    Ive never considered them a bright amp, def warmer and darker in a good way.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Bright with a Strat, middly with a LP and a lot depending on the speaker choice. However, any bright top goes out the door on vol 4+
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Bright with a Strat, middly with a LP and a lot depending on the speaker choice. However, any bright top goes out the door on vol 4+
    I’ve don’t think I’ve ever had the volume on my 5E3 up to 4 on a gig!