Cheap twin humbucker guitar for mod project.

What's Hot
ewalewal Frets: 2583
I've got a pair of Railhammer high output humbucker pickups sitting gathering dust, having got them for a baritone build which didn't work out.

Id like to use them in a mod project, so I'm on the lookout for a cheap twin humbucker guitar. The obvious choice would be a Harley Benton single cut, however I'm not that in to LPs.

Something more basic, like a Gretsch Streamliner Jr or a basic Revstar is more the sort of thing I'm after. Basically want to end up with a stealth black chugging plank of wood style guitar.

Any suggestions? Needs to be cheap mind. £300 tops, less if possible.
The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ewalewal Frets: 2583
    I used to have an Ibanez Artist and a Yamaha MSG -  something like that, but cheaper, would be good.
  • Fiddlesticks_Fiddlesticks_ Frets: 261
    Squier Telecaster Deluxe?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 615
    I've got a black auto tune Peavey AT200 that needs the input jack wiring up. Worked fine prior to that coming adrift. Would need new strings cos sat in a gig bag unplaced perhaps 4 years. Let me know if you think it could work and I'll dig it out. Actually kept at my work so can't do much til Monday but plenty images and info out there on them
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1067
    Honestly you're probably not gonna get cheaper than a Harley Benton - especially a used one. You're spoiled for choice as well because they have loads more models than other budget manufacturers. Can't fault Thomann's service either. 

My only gripe with them are pickguards. They're not standard. But that's another story. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11705
    What about an Ian Elson custom guitar?
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Honestly you're probably not gonna get cheaper than a Harley Benton - especially a used one. You're spoiled for choice as well because they have loads more models than other budget manufacturers. Can't fault Thomann's service either. 

My only gripe with them are pickguards. They're not standard. But that's another story. 
    I know. However I don't really like their take on the LP design. Maybe the most basic student model is an option. I prefer LP studio types to the higher end designs.
    bazxkr said:
    I've got a black auto tune Peavey AT200 that needs the input jack wiring up. Worked fine prior to that coming adrift. Would need new strings cos sat in a gig bag unplaced perhaps 4 years. Let me know if you think it could work and I'll dig it out. Actually kept at my work so can't do much til Monday but plenty images and info out there on them
    No thanks. Interesting guitar though.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9674
    Pacífica 120H
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Fazley guitars at Bax music, or Harley Bentons at Thomann are probably going to be the cheapest options
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
  • spev11spev11 Frets: 327
    https://www.andertons.co.uk/all-electric-guitar-offers/eastcoast-tm-hh-electric-guitar-in-black one of them?
    I've just bought the strat version with the roasted maple neck and its really rather good, nut was a bit rough and the trem wasnt fantastic but that wouldnt be a worry with the tele shaped one
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4138
    Squier Bullet Mustang
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 947
    PRS SE Singlecut? 2 Humbucker, 1 Vol, 1 Tone, no coil splits, nice and basic. Just picked up a 2008 model for a Grandad/Grandson project. Available for around £200 if you're not averse to making a cheeky offer.
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
  • LessPaulLessPaul Frets: 59
    The guitargeek62 said:
    Squier Bullet Mustang
    Cheap as chips’ and a lot of fun to be had - great modding platform.
  • jasonbone75jasonbone75 Frets: 636
    Don't even need to remove the old pickups on this one :) Locking tuners fitted. 3 way switch, vol and tone were all new. I might have a pair of metal pickup rings floating around too.

That's a bit too pointy for me. That's just me though - it'll make a cracking guitar for someone!
    I think I'm accepting the inevitable and heading towards an HB single cut. I reckon this'd do the job nicely.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_sc_550_ii_ftf_b_stock.htm

• LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1067
    Check out the SC450 Plus as well. Has coil splits that the 550 doesn't.

Also check out their CST models if you like the PRS shape (if you haven't already). They got coil splits as well. 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2358
    Thomann has their 70th anniversary sale on- they've got the same Tele as my sister got in the Harley Benton sale- except with a Wilkinson tremolo, and in a different colour- for more or less the same price they were in that Harley Benton sale IIRC. Just under £260 (she paid about £40 less IIRC because the hardtail version is a bit cheaper). Hers is pretty darn nice. https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_fusion_t_hh_roasted_fbb.htm

Not quite the same type of single-cut, of course. Not much point if you've got your heart set on an LP-shaped guitar, lol. Also direct-mount pickups, if you're not able (or don't want to!) drill out the legs of your Railhammers. Also, while I haven't tried them, I suspect the Teslas in the SC550 Plus are superior to the Roswells in the Tele- which aren't bad, but which are a bit fat/warm in the neck position and a little thin/bright in the bridge (comparatively, at least). Which I guess doesn't matter if you've already got pickups to swap in there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Got an advert for the Guild Surfliner HH on clearance for £240, down from £400. Looks like a belter for the price. I was tempted!