Eric Johnson vs Classic Player 50’s neck profile

What's Hot
JtaylorJtaylor Frets: 182
I recently picked up a classic player 50’s strat but am finding the neck far too skinny so am looking to find a different maple neck strat that has got a 9.5”+ fretboard radius. 

The Eric Johnson signature strat gets good reviews, does anyone know if it has a much bigger neck than the classic player? Or does anyone know of any other models that has a good size neck with fairly big frets and a 9.5”+ radius fretboard? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22856
    The Ed O'Brien Strat has a 10/56 V profile which I think is a little chunkier than the Eric Johnson.  Either would be bigger than the Classic Player '50s - I had one of those and really disliked the neck, it had to go straight back to the shop.

I've learned that I really like V profiles if they're chunky, but hate them if they're skinny.
  • JtaylorJtaylor Frets: 182
    Thanks @Philly_Q , is the Eric Johnson a lot bigger or just a little bit? 
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2288

I've played a 50s Classic Player but not owned one. Don't remember the neck feeling big.  

I bought my Eric Johnson from @JohnCordy   At .86/87 at the first fret it's reasonably substantial but not baseball bat thick. It has a pretty subtle V at the headstock end that becomes a substantial C (I think). Very nice shape in the hand.  

The 12 radius isn't for everyone but I appreciate the bigger frets and flatter frets for widdle stuff. I cut the gloss back on the of the neck too. Lovely Strats they are. I'm not a Strat guy but I have a few and use them occasionally.

Maybe try the Strat Talk forum for more opinions.

IMG_7148JPG

IMG_7161JPG

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22856
    Jtaylor said:
    Thanks @Philly_Q , is the Eric Johnson a lot bigger or just a little bit? 
    Afraid I'm only going on reviews and research, I haven't tried an EJ Strat.  I am familiar with the 10/56 V profile and it's not huge, but very noticeably bigger than the '50s Classic Player, especially down by the nut end.

Looking at @rze99 's comments above, that's what I thought regarding the EJ, a V to C profile, I believe the V part is meant to be similar to the Custom Shop '57 V profile, which is a little smaller than the 10/56 V.  10/56 is (officially) 0.880" at the first fret and 0.990" at the 12th.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30922
    The EJ Strat is sensational. As good as any team built CS and then some.

The neck is chunky, esp around 12 fret and there's a def taper to it from a very soft v to thicker C.. It is 12"

The EOB strat neck is huge. Tele U shape huge.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9672
    Jimmie Vaughan Strat. Has a V neck, 9.5” radius, and (21) medium-jumbo frets. 

For what it’s worth - the 12” radius on the EJ would put me right off. I recently played a 12” radius Player Plus Strat and it felt almost, but not quite, entirely unlike a Strat. 
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • JtaylorJtaylor Frets: 182
    Thanks for all the info and help guys. I am now the very happy owner of a Eric Johnson strat, the neck is a much better size for me compared to the Classic Player 50's. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9672
    HNGD!

(Pics, or it didn’t happen)
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • DumodalDumodal Frets: 489
    Congrats on the new guitar, I dislike 10/56 and 10/57 necks in general but I really like the EJ neck because its not really a V, its definitely chunky but for some reason it fits the hand well.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3072
    I have an EJ neck on my MJT and it doesn't feel like a 12" radius to me. The neck feels very similar to my 08 avri 52 Tele and there's not a massive amount of adjustment on my part to swap between the two. EJs are great Strats for sure.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"