New rack day (Finally!)

What's Hot
AidanspaghettiAidanspaghetti Frets: 851
edited March 2 in Amps
Hey! 
Finally picked up a rack case this week and got around to populating it! Not wired yet and it's only a dry run (fit) as of yet but looking forward to seeing it lit up. Not looking forward to wiring or routing it though:)

I've been collecting this stuff over the last few years so delighted to finally be getting near....
Have a pair of Mesa Ev thieles to set it all off too!

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6153
    Nice. In terms of cabling, the #1 rule of rack gear is that you're always one cable short of a perfect setup. And when you buy that cable, even as you're plugging it in, you'll decide it's a good idea to reroute something and ... as sure as eggs is eggs ... Rule #1 applies once more. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1343
    Hey! 
    Finally picked up a rack case this week and got around to populating it! Not wired yet and it's only a dry run (fit) as of yet but looking forward to seeing it lit up. Not looking forward to wiring or routing it though:)

I've been collecting this stuff over the last few years so delighted to finally be getting near....
    Have a pair of Mesa Ev thieles to set it all off too!

Great stuff mate..

Make sure you have your earthing scheme sorted.. you may want to grab some Humfrees and have a look at making psuedo-balanced cables.

You'll ignore this probably in your desire to get the thing finished and then do what I did which is take it all apart again :)

Si

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1833
    Looks great. Reminds me I have an SPX90, Digitech GSP21 Pro L and a Yamaha TX81Z somewhere. Somebody still has my WX7, it's only been 25 years though... 
    Might be time to try to get it all together again.
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    I wouldn't use Humfrees. They can be a PITA to fit, especially with varying rack ears, and their insulation moves and cuts-through too easily...

I would use these 'top hat' types, which are much more robust...

I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    edited March 5
    Also remember that if you do try to isolate like this ^ you will also have to isolate all device casings from each other (i.e. make sure they're not touching top to bottom at the sides and back.
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1343
    edited March 6
    Gadget said:
    Also remember that if you do try to isolate like this ^ you will also have to isolate all device casings from each other (i.e. make sure they're not touching top to bottom at the sides and back.
    Yep and grab yourself a multi-meter and check for continuity (or lack thereof hopefully!)

I put a little rubber sheet in between everything to be sure..
    If you want something thin for insulation, that see-through plastic in kids' toy packaging it pretty robust.
  • AidanspaghettiAidanspaghetti Frets: 851
    Thanks for the advice gents. Absolutely dreading the control aspect but im going for a very simple approach (I think!). The new morningstar Pro looks perfect...
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • Gadget said:
    If you want something thin for insulation, that see-through plastic in kids' toy packaging it pretty robust.
    I work in the aviation industry so I've just found ESD plastic sheeting used for holding avionic computers so ill try using that stuff first! 
    Gadget said:
    I work in the aviation industry so I've just found ESD plastic sheeting used for holding avionic computers so ill try using that stuff first! 

That should be great, so long as it's thin enough to go between devices.
  • I'll stick up a picture @gadget over the weekend. It's like rice paper ;)
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    edited March 14
    Nice looking rack set up but wondering about heat distribution from amp and other boxes.
    Have you tried it with everything turned on for a few hours ?