Musicnomad Safe Fret Crowning

Although they are bloody expensive, I'm looking forward to these becoming available because I am shite at getting a decent crown on my frets. Seem to take all the worry out of it.

https://www.musicnomadcare.com/Products/Guitar-Fret-Care/Fret-Crowning-File-S-File/?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7269
    I watched one of the repair techs using one of them on YouTube the other day, but I can't for the life of me remember which one.  It was possibly Philip McKnight, but it could have been one of the others I watch.  You could hear it filing material and then the sound changed quite noticeably as the crown profile was complete and the apex reached the part of the concave file without abrasive.  It's a really good idea and it will certainly make people a lot more confident knowing that the file will tell them it has stopped filing rather than the user having to gauge when to stop filing.

With traditional fret crowning files it has always been very important to choose the correct sized one for the width of the fret so that it files only the squared-off sides of the fret back into a pyramid with curved sides again.  Too wide and it will sit down too far across the fret and it will start filing off material from the apex, and too small a size and it will only catch the upper sides of the fret and will create an odd profile.  That usually takes trial and error before you then know from experience which one is best for the different widths and heights of frets.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom