Decent XLR cables

What's Hot
Couldn't decide where to post this!  But in my rehearsal space I have old XLR cables singers and other use....one has gone faulty......I know for guitar leads....but for XLR cables.....what makes/models are decent / robust?  I'm not talking cork sniffing levels :)

Thanks,
Andy
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3686
    edited March 3
    Make your own, or designacable use good components and will make what you need lengthwise.  Neutrik and Van Damme cables are used in lots of pro gear.

https://www.designacable.com/musician-leads/mic-cables-1.html
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Yep, Neutrik ends and Van Damme cable is pretty standard across the touring industry. 

If you do want a budget option, Blue Aran (loudspeaker parts website, based down south) have their own branded XLR cables on their shop. Years since I bought them now, but they always came with Rean branded connectors (which are Neutrik's equivalent of Squier/Epiphone, I guess - their lower cost version). For cheap cables, they've lasted really well and they do reasonably priced multi pack options if you want to get a bunch of them. 
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4558
    Can't comment on their longevity, but I've got a couple from Studiospares and they feel very robust and nicely made.

https://www.studiospares.com/cables-leads/leads-xlr/pro-neutrik-xlr-cable-all-colour-30cm-50m-con5733.htm
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10439
    Studiospares are the best value to buy pre built 

5M Sommer cable, Neutrik NC3 XRL connectors £18.99  ... you couldn't build them much cheaper 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1089
    Have bought a couple from Studio spares and they’re really good. And I’ve used Designacable too and they’re also great.
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1347
    I just put in a designacable order yesterday, and have ordered multiple mic cables from them in the past. Good quality ends and cables, assembled well it seems as I've had zero problems using them in gigs for years. They also sell through Amazon but I tend to buy direct.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6897
    davros said:
    I just put in a designacable order yesterday, and have ordered multiple mic cables from them in the past. Good quality ends and cables, assembled well it seems as I've had zero problems using them in gigs for years. They also sell through Amazon but I tend to buy direct.
    They've just started a points scheme (5% ) so worth ordering direct.

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    image.png 133.9K
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3049
    andyg_prs said:
    Couldn't decide where to post this!  But in my rehearsal space I have old XLR cables singers and other use....one has gone faulty......I know for guitar leads....but for XLR cables.....what makes/models are decent / robust?  I'm not talking cork sniffing levels :)

Thanks,
    Andy
    Hi Andy,

As others have said, Neutrik NC3 connectors and Van Damme Tour Grade Classic XKE Microphone Cable is a fairly standard combination that ensures robustness and sound quality.

I build cables to order - both balanced microphone leads and guitar leads. To give you some idea of cost, a 5m Neutrik/Van Damme mic lead comes in at around £23

DM me if you'd like a quote.

R.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2328
    Award Session (whilst they're still open).  They're my favorite cable for everything.
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3137
    Lynx have never let me down highly recommended 
    https://custom-lynx.co.uk/
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk