Les Paul Custom Truss Rod

What's Hot
Hi all, 

What size socket do you need to adjust the truss rod of a LP custom? 

I bought a GroveTech multitool with a 5/16" socket on it (it says for Gibson on the packaging) to adjust the truss rod however, it doesn't seem to fit the nut. 

Are custom truss rods larger than other Gibson models or is there something I'm missing? The nut is black so am wondering if it is covered in paint and finish? 

Thoughts appreciated 

Mark 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7032
    tFB Trader
    Yes it will be 5/16 a/f and it will be brass under the black paint. Chip off the paint and you should be good to go.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes it will be 5/16 a/f and it will be brass under the black paint. Chip off the paint and you should be good to go.

Thank you, any suggestions how best to remove the paint. I don't like the idea of going at it with a blade for fear of chewing up the nut 

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18780
    Given that it's a Gibson, I'm tempted to suggest using gaffer tape...
    More sensibly, you might be able to use a flat blade screwdriver, gently & carefully handled of course.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72369
    Starplayer91 said:

Thank you, any suggestions how best to remove the paint. I don't like the idea of going at it with a blade for fear of chewing up the nut
    Don't worry, you won't - it will chip off easily, it's not paint that's intended to adhere to metal.

Clearly one Gibson didn't think needed any truss rod adjustment at the factory... hmmmm.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom