Non magnetic pole piece screws

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10429
    tFB Trader
    NickB said:
    I have a Gibson ES339 which sports 57 classic pups. I found them to be muddy so removed the screws. Much better. Does anyone know if there are nylon screws available as a replacement to fill the holes? Cheers. 

You can demagnetise any metal that is magnetic, it's very cheap and easy to do, in fact you probably have everything you need to do it in the house already.  Personally I'd just leave the originals in a wee baggie in the case, buy a set of ones as close to, if not identical to the originals, and then just spend the 2-3 minutes it will take to demagnetise the new replacement screws.  Personally I would strongly advise against any and all forms of nylon and other synthetic screws, I use a hell of a lot of them, or rather a lot of the RC stuff uses them, and the first thing I do is replace them with proper metal screws, especially for screws that are intended to be adjustable.

Or better yet, just spend a tenner and get yourself a demagnetizer/degausser, that way you can magnetise and demagnetise the original screws as and when you want to, and as often as you want to, in seconds, and do a proper A/B comparison every few string changes, even experiment with number of screws and the positions of the ones that have been demagnetised.
    The standard pole screws 1022 steel and are not magnetic they are ferromagnetic , and the folks here want to swap for screws that are non ferromagnetic. 
    Ferromagnetic means 'able to transmit magnetic fields ... not magnetic in themselves. 
    Pole screws touch the magnet mounted under the pickup and transmit the field to the area of the strings. 
    Degaussing the poles will do absolutely nothing. 

Personally I'd fit a humbucker that wasn't muddy rather than attempting to bodge one that was. If cost is an issue then there are better pickups by Tonerider and Vanson at silly cheap prices. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27003

Arguably, I could do it with anything gold coloured as long as the head was at least big enough because it is easy enough to turn down a screw head to diameter. Side hustle...
    Hey I'm not in the UK either so no issue!! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom