Is a Peavey KB 60 a guitar amp?

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3463
edited March 4 in Amps
Or is it a keyboard amp? Or is it both? I have been keeping an eye out for a cheap Bandit or similar Peavey for my wee boy and one of these has sprung up locally for not a lot of moneys.
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    Keyboard amp - but you can use it for acoustic guitar, or for electric guitar with a preamp/multi-FX with speaker emulation. Or without if you disconnect the tweeter… if in fact it’s still working! They often get blown because 60W is not a lot for a keyboard, and if the amp overdrives the tweeter tends to die.

Apart from that they are of course as reliable as rain in Glasgow. Rather heavy too :).

… and also suitable for electronic drums, at low volume, if that helps!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3463
    ICBM said:
    Keyboard amp - but you can use it for acoustic guitar, or for electric guitar with a preamp/multi-FX with speaker emulation. Or without if you disconnect the tweeter… if in fact it’s still working! They often get blown because 60W is not a lot for a keyboard, and if the amp overdrives the tweeter tends to die.

Apart from that they are of course as reliable as rain in Glasgow. Rather heavy too :).

… and also suitable for electronic drums, at low volume, if that helps!
    Thanks buddy, I think I might let it slide then, Ive not seen it in the flesh and dont have time to drive down there, from the photos I am wondering if its had water damage, the rusted jacks look fresh, the tolex coming away but the rest of it looks very clean, and we have had a lot of flooding here, I think I will wait for a Bandit to come along.

The auction is here.

A KB60 guitar amplifier (the-saleroom.com)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    robgilmo said:

from the photos I am wondering if its had water damage, the rusted jacks look fresh, the tolex coming away but the rest of it looks very clean, and we have had a lot of flooding here
    Yes, that’s clearly water damage. Even with an old Peavey, it would be wise to service it completely and check for any corrosion inside - the speaker could be affected too. That makes it much less attractive - probably uneconomical if it needs a speaker, even if you find a suitable second hand one. The amp is worth an absolute maximum of £100 on a good day, and less in that condition.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3463
    ICBM said:
    robgilmo said:

from the photos I am wondering if its had water damage, the rusted jacks look fresh, the tolex coming away but the rest of it looks very clean, and we have had a lot of flooding here
    Yes, that’s clearly water damage. Even with an old Peavey, it would be wise to service it completely and check for any corrosion inside - the speaker could be affected too. That makes it much less attractive - probably uneconomical if it needs a speaker, even if you find a suitable second hand one. The amp is worth an absolute maximum of £100 on a good day, and less in that condition.
    Hammer price wasnt much more than the opening bid, I think that may have been a wrongun.