Driving from Brighton into North London

What's Hot
ryanverbenaryanverbena Frets: 426
I’ve never driven in the UK, lived here for 13 years and managed to avoid it. Being based in Camden, cars seem more hassle than they are help.

But I have a friend who is wanting to drive up one afternoon (weekday) from Brighton and wondering if anyone has any insider tips? Or is it simply a case of following the SatNav direct? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12370
    Satnav will probably get you there with no problems. Check if the car is Ulez compliant though or there’ll be a charge. Also another charge if you go through the Congestion Zone. Frankly if the vehicle isn’t Ulez compliant you might be better off just using the train? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1263
    edited March 4
    Personally, I'd get the train unless there is a good reason otherwise.
    Driving into London can be a real stress and parking and the various taxes add up. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28271
    I've driven into London enough to not want to do it again - I'd go by train. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22881
    If they go up the A23 through Streatham I'll wave.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12368
    At least London will seem blissfully cheap for parking charges after the thieving bastards in Brighton.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 187
    Yeah, honestly the best route is train. It’s an easy journey by car, but expect traffic as soon as you get on the A3 by Chessington all the way to Camden. Could take 3hrs+

No satnav should send you via central for Brighton-Camden so should be ok for congestion zone.
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1137
    Train direct from Brighton to St Pancras.
    Driving in London is only fun for masochists 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 367
    My Daughter lives in Brighton now and used to live in Camden. I wouldn't drive to either unless you have free parking and a crystal ball about traffic. I'd advise your friend to take the train.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ryanverbenaryanverbena Frets: 426
    edited March 4
    Thanks for the advice - agree train would be the ticket if it weren't for the fact he's also carrying guitars and amps

Sorry I should have stated that car was the only option
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1075
    edited March 5
    If he's driving during congestion zone charge hours, best to avoid driving through central London. Camden isn't in congestion zone IIRC so best to join north circular rd (A406) clockwise and then exit at Brent Cross towards central London. It's longer but less stoplights and he'll get around congestion zone.

No getting around ULEZ charges though. 

If he's driving outside congestion zone hours then going through central London should be fine. I still hate it though because of all the traffic stops, one way roads, cyclists and pedestrians. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Don't stop at red lights.  Carry a gun. 

And a shiv down the sock.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16099
    For a bit of a relax I always go round M25 and would come into Brent X via M1 turnoff then up to Finchley Road
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6684
    +1 for train. You can get to Victoria, London Bridge, St Pancras etc. Unless you're travelling on a Sunday during rail replacement/track maintenance, they will be fine. Quicker, cheaper, more environmentally friendly and unless you have a huge load to carry, then better all round. 

Speaking from plenty of experience as I've been living in Brighton for very nearly 25 years and I've used the train with great regularity, including many commutes when I've played theatre shows. 
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    My mate lives down in Brighton and I'm in West London and usually drive via the M25 and down the A23. It doesn't take too long but it'll be a fucker to drive back the other way and through Central to North London. 

I played a club night in King's Cross once and driving into the city is a nightmare. What should take 40 minutes takes 2 hours as you spend most of it stopping at lights and moving very slowly down long roads.

Then there's parking and all the various charges like CC and ULEZ etc.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    edited March 5
    Check ULEZ.
    Put in Sat Nav
    Add extra 30mins to the time stated

The journey isn't difficult, I've done it several times going to Brighton for a day trip from Richmond area and then back.  I lived in Brighton too, went to Uni there and the train is much preferred. 

The further you get inside London however, the more annoying it gets in the car.  Everything from traffic, speed bumps, cyclists, keep an eye on your mirrors at all times for them.  
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1075
    From my experience, once in Greater London the easiest route is Brent Cross -> Finchley Road -> Swiss Cottage - Camden Town.  Your mate's satnav might disagree, but satnavs aren't always right =)
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28271
    Apparently the ticket system for Oxford Street doesn't work, so while the bus drivers will be very angry at you, you don't get a fine.

Handy shortcut. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11304
    Beware of train screw-ups.

I got to London Bridge on Sunday morning to find no trains running south dur to signal problems, which made getting to Gatwick a load of fun. 
  • strumjoughlampsstrumjoughlamps Frets: 3286
    Deffo train, or you could drive to Three Bridges and train the rest.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Dominic said:
    For a bit of a relax I always go round M25 and would come into Brent X via M1 turnoff then up to Finchley Road
    Yeah I find the M25 more relaxing than a spa break.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer