Any suggestions for short scale, maple neck, single pickup?

What's Hot
b_djb_dj Frets: 6
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a guitar that’s short scale, single pickup, with a maple neck (for strength)?

I’m avoiding Gibsons, as I play in a thrash noise band and well….gibsons and stage chaos doesn’t tend to go very well, I don’t trust myself!

Any suggestions would be appreciated! 

Thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jasonbone75jasonbone75 Frets: 636
    Stick some gaffa tape over the neck pickup this is perfect :) 22.2" scale. not so expensive that it matters when someone stage dives onto it...

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3495
    b_dj said:
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a guitar that’s short scale, single pickup, with a maple neck (for strength)?

I’m avoiding Gibsons, as I play in a thrash noise band and well….gibsons and stage chaos doesn’t tend to go very well, I don’t trust myself!

Any suggestions would be appreciated! 

Thanks

Squier Sonic Mustang?

Take out the neck pickup and solder the bridge directly to the volume or drop in a single coil rail pickup in the bridge? 

https://www.fender.com/en-GB/squier-electric-guitars/mustang/squier-sonic-mustang/0373652503.html
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 629
    ^ A 24in Squier or Fender would be my shout, too, because you could remove the neck pickup and easily get a replacement guard to cover the hole.

Can’t tell, though, if short-scale in your OP means Gibson-scale? The Godin Summit SG P90 has a maple neck and can sometimes be had for a good price. If 25in would be acceptable, examples of the Fret King Esprit I are plentiful. Both have angled headstocks, though.

Schecter’s Paul Wiley signature might fit the bill - mahogany neck, but three-piece and reinforced with carbonfibre rods. Quite smart-looking IMO for a guitar that’s way outside my wheelhouse. Not cheap, but there’s a mint used one at Langley Guitar Centre for £850.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    I think a couple of MIJ strats came with a 24.75" scale, could work well with a single pickup
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • b_djb_dj Frets: 6
    barnstorm said:
    ^ A 24in Squier or Fender would be my shout, too, because you could remove the neck pickup and easily get a replacement guard to cover the hole.

Can’t tell, though, if short-scale in your OP means Gibson-scale? The Godin Summit SG P90 has a maple neck and can sometimes be had for a good price. If 25in would be acceptable, examples of the Fret King Esprit I are plentiful. Both have angled headstocks, though.

Schecter’s Paul Wiley signature might fit the bill - mahogany neck, but three-piece and reinforced with carbonfibre rods. Quite smart-looking IMO for a guitar that’s way outside my wheelhouse. Not cheap, but there’s a mint used one at Langley Guitar Centre for £850.
    I’ve completely forgotten about Godin, that does look interesting.

Anyone have any experience with them? 
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    edited March 4
    Ibanez Omar Rodriguez Lopez, ORM1. Very cool guitar, 24” scale. Single pickup. Blocks. What’s not to love?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Oh shit, no maple. 
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    Sterling short scale cutlass. 
    Its HS but you could cut a new guard and have whatever you wanted. 
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 234
    Something like an LP junior double cut with a P90 perhaps?

Of course there are more expensive versions of this but you get the idea.
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28230
    Daisy Rock. I assume you don't mean maple fretboard, just the neck. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • rprrpr Frets: 310
    Fender Duo Sonic - Take out the neck pick up or just screw it right down
    https://www.fender.com/en-GB/electric-guitars/duo-sonic/    

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    edited March 5
    Loobs said:
    Ibanez Omar Rodriguez Lopez, ORM1. Very cool guitar, 24” scale. Single pickup. Blocks. What’s not to love?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14430
    rpr said:
    Fender Duo Sonic - Take out the neck pick up or just screw it right down
    https://www.fender.com/en-GB/electric-guitars/duo-sonic/    

Came here to suggest this.

All modern MIM Duo Sonic bodies are routed HS. Conversion is a simple matter of swapping the stock pickguard for a custom ordered one with fewer holes cut through it.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    True that, very cool punk rock guitar.