Best strings for telecaster?

What's Hot
tonystone82tonystone82 Frets: 0
Hi all, I wondered what your preferences were for strings for a custom 1960’s telecaster?

I’m looking for longevity and snappy tone with good frequency response across the spectrum, but mainly I like the country twang and clean highs. 

I’ve been using Ernie ball 10’s for the last 25 years on strats, but only recently started playing a tele and the Ernie balls just don’t cut it at all, they sound dull and lifeless. I’m on a rosewood board on the tele whereas on the strats I’m on maple so that probably makes a difference overall. 

Anyway just wanted to know of your experiences please…. Thanks
Tony
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24812
    D’Addario. I switched to them from EBs in the mid-90s. They start (and remain) brighter than EBs and generally last much longer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2292

Longevity

I've got loads of Teles many of which I've made. I hate changing strings - so boring - so I use Elixr. I don't care whether they are the "best" or not but they work for me. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 273
    Going to say GHS because they are good on the bends.

... or was that Michelins........?
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3080
    Newtone roundcores on my avri 52.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2200
    I've always used d'addario but recently switched over to Stringjoy and they feel really great. 12s on Gibson and 11s on Fenders for me.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2387
    Still using Gabriel Tenorio Super 10's on mine. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    edited March 4
    Ernie Ball are pretty bad, IMO. Rotosound even worse. D‘addario or even better, Curt Mangan. 10-52 is great on a tele, or 11-52 if you’re not a bender. D’addario have a lovely presence. EB always sound dull to my ears. 
  • Mr_ClawMr_Claw Frets: 94
    edited March 4
    I used Newtones and Pyramids (Monel and Nickel). Both really good and you can't go wrong.

I did try a set of Thomastik-Infeld flats on there, and they sound pretty cool with fuzz, but a bit too 'plunky' for general Telecaster use.

Think I like the Pyamid Monels best on a tele. Bit more snappy than nickel.
  • tonystone82tonystone82 Frets: 0
    D’Addario. I switched to them from EBs in the mid-90s. They start (and remain) brighter than EBs and generally last much longer.
    Yeah I’ve tried them before but a while ago now, and that was on a Strat, which set would you recommend Richard? 
  • tonystone82tonystone82 Frets: 0
    Loobs said:
    Ernie Ball are pretty bad, IMO. Rotosound even worse. D‘addario or even better, Curt Mangan. 10-52 is great on a tele, or 11-52 if you’re not a bender. D’addario have a lovely presence. EB always sound dull to my ears. 
    I’m currently trying out the rotosound, and yes I’m not that impressed, although they do sound a little better than the EB’s to my ear. Still not as good as they could be though.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    D'addario's are the strings I mainly use but on my Tele & Strats I like GHS Boomers - brighter & snappier. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9684
    +1 for D’addario. I use 9s on my Fenders but from reading your post I’d guess 10s for you.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2400
    Again, D'addario. I use them on all my guitars anyway, but when I had my Tele I had some Rotosounds lying around so figured I'd give them a go. Now, they may have been a dud couple of sets, but my Tele just sounded papery acoustically and not right - I started looking at the nut, the saddles, wondering what the hell was going on...
    Switched back to D'addarios and it sounded exactly like it always should have done. No idea why but it has put me off trying Rotosounds for a while.
    Tim
  • CarbonCopyCarbonCopy Frets: 208
    A friend borrowed a Strat from me and when it came back, it seemed to sound brighter and snappier. I had been using Ernie Ball, but he had restrung it with GHS Boomers which seemed to work really well with that guitar. I only use GHS on that guitar now as a result.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    Voxman said:
    D'addario's are the strings I mainly use but on my Tele & Strats I like GHS Boomers - brighter & snappier. 
    I thought round core strings were meant to be warmer?

Not saying you're wrong, I mean I've tried them both myself and not sure how much difference I noticed!
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 366
    Stringjoy nickel wound 10-52s on all my teles (and Strats). 
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7791

I've got 10-46 Legacy strings you can get from Strings Direct on a number of mine (some I haven't changed what I got with them so I don't know what they are) and they're perfectly good for my needs.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    I don't play my Tele much but I've always used the Ernie Ball 10's. Don't like the feel of D'Addario or Elixir, they're not as smooth to play. They may last longer but a nice set of newly strung up Ernie's played in is the nicest feeling.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Dave_Mc said:
    Voxman said:
    I thought round core strings were meant to be warmer?

Not saying you're wrong, I mean I've tried them both myself and not sure how much difference I noticed!
    Well, they sound bright and snappy to me, and it's pretty much what GHS say too:

"GHS Boomers Nickel Wound Electric Guitar Strings (Light 10-46) have been the power string and continue to set the standard for musicians in nearly every genre of music. Nickel-plated steel wound over a round core brings a bright tone with a powerful attack that lasts for an extended period. Each string is individually sealed in the GHS Nitro-Pack envelope ensuring they’re as fresh as the day they were wound at the Battle Creek factory."

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)