Getting rid of a car… sell or scrap? Advice please?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• marxskimarxski Frets: 250
    I sold a 2002 mk1 Focus zetec estate a couple of years ago on Gumtree. Only a couple of people enquired but both showed up. I got £700 for it with 6 months MOT. Guy who bought it was likeable but clearly hadn’t driven for a while and absolutely terrified me and Mrs Marx during test drive. Very late braking and driving too close to kerb! Honestly wondered if he would make it home OK (he did!).

Plenty of people who need a cheap car out there even a 2,0 guzzler. In balance it was less painful than WBAC who I used to dispose of an old 3 series with 1 month MOT, oil leak and the usual rusty arches. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3160
    tFB Trader
    People are quite happy to purchase used vehicles with faults, provided they know what those are before they turn up to view.

List it on Marketplace with good photos, an honest description of the current condition and any known issues. It will sell.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• Switch625Switch625 Frets: 583
    Stick it up on FB marketplace with an honest description. Be ready for a bunch of timewasters, but you should shift it if you price it well enough.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9542
    Snags said:
    I'd sell it privately, but be honest about the intermittent stalling issue in the advert and price it accordingly. Someone will take it, and may well even get it sorted. And if you haven't hidden the issue, no harm no foul.

If it cuts out when you're doing 70 down the dual carriageway that's different, but if it just occasionally craps out at tickover, not so much.

I recently sold a C-Max of similar vintage and higher mileage that had a few minor issues: mixture of cosmetic and mechanical, but nothing actively dangerous. Disclosed them all in the advert, reiterated them all to the bloke who bought it, and he was delighted to get a car that should last him a few more years with no major expense for not a huge amount of money.
    This.

Wisdom here.