New Alan Partridge coming

What's Hot
RabsRabs Frets: 2613
in Off Topic tFB Trader
Steve Coogan to return as Alan Partridge in BBC mockumentary | Steve Coogan | The Guardian

Steve Coogan to return as Alan Partridge in BBC mockumentary

Six-episode series will follow the fictional presenter as he reintegrates into UK life after a year in Saudi Arabia

Steve Coogan will reprise the role of Alan Partridge for a new mockumentary following the fictional presenter as he reintegrates into life in the UK after a year working in Saudi Arabia.

In six 30-minute episodes, the documentary about homecoming would morph into an exploration of the mental health issues facing the UK, said its makers.

The series, called And Did Those Feet … With Alan Partridge (ADTFWAP), will follow Partridge as he realises something is missing from his life.

Sarah Monteith, the chief executive of the production company Baby Cow, said: “We’re delighted Alan’s back from Saudi Arabia with his appetite for broadcasting undiminished. ADTFWAP promises to be exactly the sort of uncompromising, state-of-the-nation piece that the country needs, almost as much as he does.”

Coogan is renowned for playing his most famous comic creation, including in the BBC series I’m Alan Partridge, which ended in 2002. He most recently reprised the role on TV screens in This Time With Alan Partridge, which followed the protagonist as he was given the chance to co-host a fictional weekday magazine show.

Jon Petrie, the BBC director of comedy commissioning, said: “Alan Partridge is the most iconic comedy character in the UK. The wonderful Steve Coogan and [co-writers] Neil and Rob Gibbons continue to innovate and create an even richer world for Alan to inhabit. This unflinching look at the state of the UK through Alan’s eyes promises to add more brilliance to the Partridge canon.”

The series is one of six new comedy shows announced by Petrie, with Greg Davies’s The Cleaner and Man Like Mobeen from Guz Khan slated to return.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1970
    edited March 5
    Loved the movie (and Mindhorn) but the most recent series was dire. Still... He is less of a prick in-character.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13572
    edited March 5
    not sure,  I think the genius of Partridge, was of the age it was set in, not sure that would travel, or a "refined for the age" would work
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6541
    Well, I hope he has upped his game somewhat; I’ve seen some of his previous work, and his presenting style is woeful, bordering on parody.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3070
    I enjoy all Partridge (and Coogan), wasn't a great fan of Alpha Papa but loved This Time after I got used to it.

Good news he's coming back if only for a measly 6 episodes.

We could do with the lovely Phoebe and Fleabag too. Come on Beeb! 
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1148
    Looking forward to this. 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12430
    The special he did for Sky Scissored Isle was very good.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7135
    edited March 6
    Big fan here. Love all of the stuff; Alpha Papa was a bit different to everything but I have a feeling that was intended to make a splash across the pond. Mid Morning Matters was a particular highlight as it harked back to his beginnings in radio.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • Chris.BChris.B Frets: 291
    I remember Alan Partridge first appearing on a stand-up show as Paul Calf and his sister Pauline Calf - a pair of drunks.  Maybe it's looking back with rose-tinted glasses, but those characters were excellent at the time. 

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23151
    Chris.B said:
    I remember Alan Partridge first appearing on a stand-up show as Paul Calf and his sister Pauline Calf 
    Umm..... no.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3610
    But did the pedestrianisation of Norwich city centre issue ever get resolved?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11908
    Early Alan Partridge just makes me think....

GOAALLL!!
    "Shit!!"
    "Striker!"
    "That was liquid football..."
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1148

GOAALLL!!
    "Shit!!"
    "Striker!"
    "Back of the net!" 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6923
    Dan, Dan, Daaaaaaan!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6541
    Chris.B said:
    I remember Alan Partridge first appearing on a stand-up show as Paul Calf and his sister Pauline Calf - a pair of drunks.  Maybe it's looking back with rose-tinted glasses, but those characters were excellent at the time. 

Paul Calf was great, as was Pauline Calf’s video diary thingy - the scenes with Paul in have given me a number of catchphrases that I drop into conversations even now (I know it’s not funny when I do, but it was funny when Coogan did it.)

Saxondale - oft overlooked but in the running for “almost as good as Partridge”, which is no faint praise.

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3927
    I first saw Paul Calf on Zoo TV, Jonathan Ross show if anyone remembers it. Must’ve been around 1991. Funniest thing ever at the time, apart from Vic Reeves Big night out (imo!)
  • MrTeeMrTee Frets: 511
    edited March 5

GOAALLL!!
    "Shit!!"
    "Striker!"
    "....and another!!!"

"That......was a goal"
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1967
    MrTee said:

GOAALLL!!
    "Shit!!"
    "Striker!"
    "....and another!!!"

"That......was a goal"
    Unless my mind's playing tricks on me.

"Eat my goal"?
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3351
    Schnozz said:
    Loved the movie (and Mindhorn) but the most recent series was dire. Still... He is less of a prick in-character.
    This time? I thought it was fantastic. Took multiple watches of each episode to get the nuances 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11908
    Rabs said:

God that's funny...  nothing to do with Partridge but this section just kills me...

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom