Do you have an amp gathering dust?

What's Hot

Comments

• jasonbone75jasonbone75 Frets: 636
    I still keep my Peavey 6505+ as the band I used it in broke up in 2019, and we had the covid stuff where I purchased a Kemper during the pandemic as I was mainly playing at home. It sat in the spare room for a while but it was dusted off for a reunion show about 3-4 months back.

Now my mate uses it in the band that we've reignited. I can't bring myself to sell it as it sounds great.

Snap. I have one that I keep but ended up with the 50W 5150III for the band so it doesn't get used.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746
    Marshall SL-5

It's honestly just not that great especially compared to my DSL or Origin heads.

I keep wondering if I should sell it but the moment I do Slash will no doubt fall off his perch and the demand for them will go through the roof and I can sell it for many millions of pounds/yen/dollars/francs
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4174
    gubble said:
    Marshall SL-5

It's honestly just not that great especially compared to my DSL or Origin heads.

I keep wondering if I should sell it but the moment I do Slash will no doubt fall off his perch and the demand for them will go through the roof and I can sell it for many millions of pounds/yen/dollars/francs
    I have an old 2501 JCM900 that's bookended by a DSL402 and a 30th Anniversary, both of which sound better (the 30th very much so!).

Unlike yours, there's no artist association so in years to come it'll still be worth two-tenths of bugger all. I used it for years, it was a "significant birthday" present, and it's in great nick. I can't bring myself to sell it.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    I still keep my Peavey 6505+ as the band I used it in broke up in 2019, and we had the covid stuff where I purchased a Kemper during the pandemic as I was mainly playing at home. It sat in the spare room for a while but it was dusted off for a reunion show about 3-4 months back.

Now my mate uses it in the band that we've reignited. I can't bring myself to sell it as it sounds great.

Snap. I have one that I keep but ended up with the 50W 5150III for the band so it doesn't get used.
    I have the STL Tone EVH 5150iii Kemper Profile (its the Andrew Wade producer pack one) and its quite good, sounds great through the Mesa cabinet. But I still miss the cranked 6505+ with a tubescreamer to push it. Pissing off soundguys up and down the country for being too loud!
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3128
    Yup a Fender DSP 25 , sounds ugly at any volume so we use it as a step for decorating.
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    Pretty much all our amp heads cabinets and combos would be gathering dust if I hadn’t brought covers for them  :#
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 775
    Also I loosely own a Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 212 combo which seriously weighs more than the world. 

Got it for free (right (or wrong) place at the right time).  

It's currently in the practice room at work. Used it as a cab for a while at home. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ragingbenragingben Frets: 107
    I have a few, a Traynor YCV50 combo, an Orange Rocker 30 head, AMT Stonehead and a Blackheart Little Giant. I really like all of those amps and know I'd regret it if I let any of them go hence keeping them all. I bought an Orange Rockerverb last year and I'm still in in the honeymoon phase with it so the others just aren't getting a look in.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18781
    Laney TT100 2x12. Too loud, too complex & too clean. 
    Buggered if I know why I can't try to sell it, then I turn it on & decide to deal with it another day  ;)
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5145
    There's an HH Studio 100 2x12" sitting in the corner of my bedroom. It occasionally gets an airing, and I'm usually left with the impression that it sounds better than I remember it. Loud as balls, too.
    I should probably get rid, but I doubt it's worth anything.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    It is inevitable some of my 13 amps will gather dust as I can only play up to 2 at once!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    There's an HH Studio 100 2x12" sitting in the corner of my bedroom. It occasionally gets an airing, and I'm usually left with the impression that it sounds better than I remember it. Loud as balls, too.
    I bought an ADA preamp off a work colleague years ago (it was 75 quid, so *that* many years ago ).

We played it through an HH rack power amp of some sort and a 2x12". "Loud as balls" is about right, Jesus. He lived in a terrace and I think the sound was loosening masonry three houses down.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    edited March 8
    ICBM said:
    I've always thought big amps sound great in a way small ones can't, even at very low volumes. True, you can't turn them up loud at home - but if they sound great quiet, so what? You're not 'wasting' a big amp to run it at a tiny fraction of its power if it gives you a great sound.

I have an amp which would be gathering dust if it wasn't tucked inside a flightcase... my Mesa Blue Angel doesn't get much use, not least because it's quite noisy at home volumes. It's just so easy to flip my Peavey Studio on and use that, so I usually do.
    Yeah agreed. I mean you could argue that if you're not using it 24 hours a day, that you're also wasting it. Or that if you don't drive your car at maximum speed all the time that you're wasting it. Etc.

Just use what you like, and don't overthink irrelevant red herring stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I like smaller amps too. But this "that's too big for home use" thing is daft... most smaller amps are too!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 395
    Humboldt said:
    I'm just after an attic clearout. Came across a little Champ that I bought in 1972 and one of those Marshall Silver Jubilee mini stacks. Neither are my kind of thing now so I just left them there.
    Happy to take that Champ off your hands to relieve you of its burden ;) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1505
    All amps gather dust, that’s what dust covers are there for. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 238
    Those old HH 100s have a bit of a cult following. Good nick they often go for a couple of hundred. They have their own owners club forums and everything. Back in the day everyone from Pink Floyd to the Clash were seen using them.
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    I have 2 big amps which I no longer use and (following a back injury) can hardly lift now.  Am intending to sell and should probably start a thread enquiring about possible value.   Here's one -

The other is a Park MV head from 1980/81 which has had the trainwreck mod.

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    There’s a lot of big stuff coming out of the woodwork here, but the one I’ve brought back into use relatively recently (actually back end of last year) after a long period of gathering dust is my Fender Super Champ…

…and I now remember why I used to love it so much and why there’s a decent number of people making a huge fuss about them!
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    IMG_0178.jpeg 133.4K
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    Yes; not collecting dust, but I have six amps getting no use. A combination of tinnitus and using the fab Axe FX III through headphones means they're not getting used, but I'm loathe to get rid of them. At least 2 of my 3 4x12s might have to go...
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    JayGee said:
    … the one I’ve brought back into use relatively recently … after a long period of gathering dust, is my Fender Super Champ.
    No. I am Spartacus.

My 1984/5 Super Champ fell into disuse because its Bass tone pot stop doing anything (apart from shunting most of the low end to ground). This is probably simple to repair but I never get around to things. (B'dum, b'dum!)

It can not be coincidence that my current main home set up is a MESA V-Twin pedal into the lower gain input of a Cornell Romany Plus.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.