K&K Pure Mini - Impedance matching

Following on from my noisy electro thread, I've decided to fit a pure mini to my Faith Saturn and I'm wondering what the best solution is with regards to preamps, DI's etc.

My current set up is:
Guitar
HX Effects
Mixer
Graphic EQ
PA/Speakers

From what I've read the K&K ideally wants to see an input impedance of 1MΩ.

The HX Effects has an input impedance of 1MΩ.

With that in mind, would I be better off just adding a DI after the HX as I should have enough tonal shaping tools between the HX and the mixer EQ? 

Budget is also a consideration and I guess I can get away with spending less on a DI box!

Aaaaand...
I'm guessing I'd want an active DI as the K&K is passive?

Cheers
Ronnie

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    Yes, just plug the pickup straight into the HX. You don’t need a DI at all unless connecting the HX to the mixer causes level matching or hum problems, and even if it is necessary, you don’t need an active DI if it’s after the HX since the HX is fully buffered - but a passive won’t reduce the cost much if at all.

I would still choose an active DI if there’s any situation you might need to connect the guitar directly to the mixer though.

(Conversely, if you’re likely to use the HX for electric guitar direct to the mixer, in my opinion passive DIs sound better for that.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• LongtallronnieLongtallronnie Frets: 1201
    Thanks @ICBM ;
    Very unlikely to use an electric with this setup but might use the acoustic direct to a mixer if it's an open mic gig/guest slot etc. Even then, I'd probably go through a TC Polytune first.

Very unlikely to use an electric with this setup but might use the acoustic direct to a mixer if it's an open mic gig/guest slot etc. Even then, I'd probably go through a TC Polytune first.
    Is the Polytune true bypass? (Or selectable?) I can’t remember. If it is then you need an active DI.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4783
    Anything that loads the pickup with 1Mohm should be fine. Many mixers at open mics have channel strips that do so. The FlyRig Acoustic does. I use a K&K XLR preamp (9v battery or phantom power) with my K&K guitars and it's both small and brilliant. It's invariably the most natural sounding guitar on the evening, too. 
    I think it’s true bypass. Sorry forgot about the tuner so set up is Guitar - tuner - HX - mixer etc
    I think it’s true bypass. Sorry forgot about the tuner so set up is Guitar - tuner - HX - mixer etc
    That's fine, since when the tuner is bypassed, the K&K is seeing the 1M load of the HX.

So if I were to ever replace it with a buffered tuner I’d be best placing it after the HX?
    I only ask as I’m not a fan of the PT as it doesn’t always seem to register the string I’m tuning. I often have to resort to the neck pickup with tone rolled off or turning the treble down on the acoustic to get it to work - which is a pain when I realise mid song that I haven’t rolled it back up! 
    So if I were to ever replace it with a buffered tuner I’d be best placing it after the HX?
    Only if the impedance isn’t 1M - but most are.

Ah yes of course. 
    K&K ordered - probably won’t get a chance to fit it for a couple of weeks though.