Photography folk?

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3611
I need to blend , or superimpose, or whatever its called, I will be shooting a base photo in RAW monochrome, I want to put a section of another photo over the top , also monochrome, however I want the new added part to be translucent, any ideas?

I dont have lightroom or photoshop so I am at the mercy of free editing software. I dont think my camera 800D has anything onboard to do this, I have canons editing software but not sure if it is capable.

Can GIMP do it maybe? any ideas?
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7501
    It sounds like you want to emulate multiple exposure.

Raw files are colour, but you can edit them however you want. I don't know what gimp can do, but search for gimp multiple exposure tutorial and you may find what you want :) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3611
    It sounds like you want to emulate multiple exposure.

Raw files are colour, but you can edit them however you want. I don't know what gimp can do, but search for gimp multiple exposure tutorial and you may find what you want :) 

Perfect, thankyou.
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1608
    Yes, there's a bit of an initial hurdle to overcome with GIMP in terms of learning how it works, but it is certainly well capable of doing what you describe above.

Best of luck with it all :)
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3611
    Thanks guys, Ive used gimp in the past, many years ago, but for stacking and HDR, even then I threw in the towel and used Aurora, should either be a fun learning curve or a very frustrating one.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11942
    The key is knowing what to search for on YouTube.  it makes not difference whether the photo is in RAW or not for this.  Look for "How to stack and blend 2 photos" or "how to create double exposure with 2 images in GIMP" 
  • crosstownvampcrosstownvamp Frets: 308
    Don't know about "stacking" (what's that?) but just use a second layer for the second image and then you can control the opacity of the layer and do fancy things with how the layers interact - yes I use Photoshop but most of them provide the same functionality. It's a five minute job in Photoshop.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12434
    Stacking is superimposing one pic on top of another. Imagine putting negatives one on top of another, same principle . As well as making multiple exposure layers, it’s also used to build up detail and bring in multiple areas of focus in things like macro or astronomy shots where parts of a single shot would just be blurry. 
  • crosstownvampcrosstownvamp Frets: 308
    Right - so stacking is for HDR or a set of identically framed pics.
    Putting negatives on top of each other is a bit less controllable!
    I'm sure Gimp can do layering
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11942