Is this really a Gretsch?

What's Hot
StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2417
It's certainly... old.

Never seen a Gretsch logo like that before, though.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18841
    Dunno, but I wonder if that's original duct tape or later replacement ? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72466
    I think it’s a late 60s or early 70s Japanese Gretsch copy.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KurtisKurtis Frets: 671
    Could do with a once over. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7886
    No. 
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2440
    Kurtis said:
    Could do with a once over. 
    Looks like it's had a once over with a road roller 
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10553
    edited March 7 tFB Trader
    Clues:
    1. two sets of position markers - the Gretsch style 'thumbnails' looking very amateur.
    2.uneven heights to the letters in the Gretsch stamping, both on the pickups and the neck plate. Usually a sign of a 'ruler and hand punch' approach to marking.
    3. Very Japanese style pickups. I tried to find the exact model in various reference materials I have access to ... but no exact match. Still, I'd say Japanese. 

My best guess? An amateur/small workshop made Japanese Gretsch 'Chibson' from the early 70s.

A fascinating bit of history I'd buy for £20 at a boot sale and keep as a long term, hang on the wall project ... £180 noooooooooo

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Getting close  @WezV :-)
    I was given an old guitar branded Hofner years ago ... that clearly wasn't ... it was one of these, doctored with a fairly convincing Hofner logo ... so the fakers of Japan were clearly 'at it' :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Lawriejones1Lawriejones1 Frets: 137
    Anyone who pays money for this is mad.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 7 tFB Trader
    Someone will ...  in just over an hour 
    The fact he started the auction at £130 tells you all you need to know about the seller ...

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8031
    Agree with previous posts - MIJ, ‘60’s. 

Useful if you need a set of vintage Ibanez machine heads, but beyond that…

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7886
    Agree with previous posts - MIJ, ‘60’s. 

Useful if you need a set of vintage Ibanez machine heads, but beyond that…
    Or vintage duct tape…
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1441
    Spot of t-cut, you'll be fine..
  • Lawriejones1Lawriejones1 Frets: 137
    The fact he started the auction at £130 tells you all you need to know about the seller ...
    Yep I’m forever amazed by the junk people will pay for!
    tFB Trader
    Yep I’m forever amazed by the junk people will pay for!
    If you remember, a while back there was a Jedson Les Paul Deluxe gold top copy with a broken headstock that went for silly money. All a scummy seller has to do is vaguely 'suggest' the guitar might be the musical equivalent of a lost Van Gough, and the natural greed enthusiasm of the buyer for the 'bargain of the century' will hook the punter like wriggling eel. Like taking candy from a baby. 
    I'm fast getting to a point where I don't really feel that sorry for buyers who can't be bothered to 'do their homework'. It took all of us five minutes to suss out what that instrument most likely was ... and how worthless it is.  

tFB Trader
    Yep ... sold for £180 :-)

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9658
    All the above comments could not prepare me to the reality of how bad that was. Putting the name Gretsch in quotation marks is a red flag that the buyer knows he's selling a fake imho.
    tFB Trader
    Putting the name Gretsch in quotation marks is a red flag that the buyer knows he's selling a fake imho.
    Absolutely ... but there appears to be a twat born every minute. :-)

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7324
    edited March 7
    Out of curiosity I watched the last couple of minutes to see whether several watchers would fire in last minute bids to take it above £180, but I was surprised to see that it just stayed at £180 with the 4 bids.

I have a very good quality Japanese early to mid 70s ES-175D clone with "Custom" on the headstock in sloping Gibson type lettering that I did up into a really good guitar.  It cost me about £250 in parts to repair and restore it, which sounds ridiculous, but I acquired the guitar for nothing and if I was to search for a guitar of equivalent quality, appearance, condition and playability to the way mine is now I would probably be lucky to find anything for less than £900.  It was pretty bashed about with dings and I needed to do a full refret, but it was worth the time and expense.

The guitar that sold for £180 on eBay, however, was an absolute wreck that looked as though it had been stored in a damp cellar after falling out of a car onto the motorway.  It would need a HUGE amount of work to make it playable, but I'm sure it could never be made to look even half decent.
  • I just had a look at it... £180! WTF!  Unless the parts on that are worth loads you'd have to be insane to pay anything for that - I reckon @OilCityPickups offer of £20 at that hypothetical boot sale wouldn't be a good deal either.

Half the side missing and what's left of the wood looks like it's been in a river. It's like a Viking artifact you'd see in a museum and think "that's in remarkable condition for its age".  Even if it wasn't a copy surely it's worth sod all once it gets that bad.

Somebody's either mad or knows something we don't.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom