1235»

Comments

• NerineNerine Frets: 2168
    goldtop said:
    Nerine said:
    goldtop said:
    Nerine said:
    goldtop said:
    If you don't want fan noise, you don't want fan noise. It's totally valid. Other solutions are available.
    I can hear the breath coming out of my nose more than I can hear the fan in the PS2A. 

What other similar spec solutions are available that do the same thing? 
    Load box and the FX Return of any other amplifier.

Load box + IR + FRFR/studio monitors. 

Do what Keef did with a Champ and a Twin.

Etc
    So nothing that will do what the Powerstation does. 

Those signal chains all do exactly what the PowerStation does. And a Guytron GT-100 (the same cascaded-amp idea in a single box from 20 years ago). And as I said, Keef was doing this 50 years ago, as was Randy Bachman with the Herzog.

(I've already said above that for live use, fan noise is not an issue at all.)

Eh? They don’t. None of the solutions you have listed do the same thing or have the same feature set as the Powerstation.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    For the record, my ps2 is very quiet and it’s a few years old. It’s certainly never bothered me. 

Best buy of kit I ever bought to be honest. I run my hx stomp through it as a power amp and into a cab. Sounds excellent. 

What I really love though is running my Mesa studio 22 through it. Using the deep/bright switches, along with that big power section turns it into a huge sounding thing that 2 little el84’s could never hope to achieve. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    nick79 said:
    For the record, my ps2 is very quiet and it’s a few years old. It’s certainly never bothered me. 

Best buy of kit I ever bought to be honest. I run my hx stomp through it as a power amp and into a cab. Sounds excellent. 

What I really love though is running my Mesa studio 22 through it. Using the deep/bright switches, along with that big power section turns it into a huge sounding thing that 2 little el84’s could never hope to achieve. 

Exactly this. 

The Marshall SV20 and this thing are an insanely cool combo. 
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 846
    goldtop said:
    Nerine said:
    goldtop said:
    Nerine said:
    goldtop said:
    If you don't want fan noise, you don't want fan noise. It's totally valid. Other solutions are available.
    I can hear the breath coming out of my nose more than I can hear the fan in the PS2A. 

What other similar spec solutions are available that do the same thing? 
    Load box and the FX Return of any other amplifier.

Load box + IR + FRFR/studio monitors. 

Do what Keef did with a Champ and a Twin.

Etc
    So nothing that will do what the Powerstation does. 

Those signal chains all do exactly what the PowerStation does. And a Guytron GT-100 (the same cascaded-amp idea in a single box from 20 years ago). And as I said, Keef was doing this 50 years ago, as was Randy Bachman with the Herzog.

(I've already said above that for live use, fan noise is not an issue at all.)

guitaraj said:
    Nerine said:
    How is the fan noise on the PS2?
    Barely noticeable. 

I can’t tell it’s on. I can’t really believe that fan noise is considered a “thing” with these. Seems a bit of a reach to me to be honest. 
    I think it depends on the use case. If you’re jamming and that’s the be all and end all it’s absolutely not a problem as you said. 

I have mine set up in the studio with the heads and I’ll be recording parts and then tweaking sounds and going back and forth so there’s plenty of time where the kit is switched on but not being played. In the intervening periods where I’m doing critical listening and not playing the drone of the fan noise can raise the noise floor of a well treated room to the point that it could be considered a nuisance, but YMMV. Might just be that I’m easily distracted of course!
    I think the point was nothing does what a PS does in one box.   Dong it that way needs a 2nd amp for a start.
    I think the point was nothing does what a PS does in one box.   Dong it that way needs a 2nd amp for a start.
    Yeah. I think the point I was making was missed entirely tbh. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PPPMATPPPMAT Frets: 17
    I am currently looking at the magnatone super 59 m80 and this thread has me wondering whether I would be better off buying the baby m80 (at 12 watts) and a fryette ps-2 so that I can attenuate it for home use and actually then boost its volume (if needed) for rehearsal and gigs? 

Have I got this concept right - would it do that?

Cheers Matt
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3260
    PPPMAT said:
    I am currently looking at the magnatone super 59 m80 and this thread has me wondering whether I would be better off buying the baby m80 (at 12 watts) and a fryette ps-2 so that I can attenuate it for home use and actually then boost its volume (if needed) for rehearsal and gigs? 

Cheers Matt
    Sounds realistic...
    From the manual:
    INPUT LEVEL SWITCH – Sets usable range of the Volume control relative to strength of Line Input or Amp In signal level. This is useful for setting your ideal playing volume whether you are attenua- ting a high powered amp, boosting a low powered amp or connecting a preamp to the Line In. Set the Level switch to HI for attenuating high powered amps or hot Line In signals or LO for boosting small amps or when using low level Line In signals.

PPPMAT said:

Cheers Matt

It would absolutely do that. Yes. 
  • PPPMATPPPMAT Frets: 17
    Nerine said:
    PPPMAT said:

Cheers Matt

It would absolutely do that. Yes. 
    Thanks - sounds like a pretty great solution to me.
    PPPMAT said: 
    Thanks - sounds like a pretty great solution to me.
    It’s very difficult to find fault with it. 
    Makes pretty much any amp in existence a heap more flexible. Especially non-master variants. To add the fx loop and additional power for the low watters too is just awesome. 
    As an aside, I am really digging the SV20. It sounds great. Very little to complain about or to criticise. I think Marshall has done a great job with these. It sounds like a Plexi and there are sooooo many classic tones in it with my Les Paul. What more do you want?