acoustic guitar problem

What's Hot
dazzer22dazzer22 Frets: 44
edited March 7 in Making & Modding
Some advise please ! I have setup the guitar and neck relief  it is good, I have been trying to get a lower string action on the guitar, I  have got it down from 4mm  to  3.25mm string hight from the 12 fret-  . This is not bad considering it was 4mm but would have liked it down to  at least 3mm;  the simple thing to do would be to keep sanding  the bottom of the nut saddle, but the saddle is already low out of the slot,  I think its about 1.5mm above the slot,  I am not sure if there is a limit on a maximum  hight  a saddle should be from the slot.  My friend said I should sand the top of the bridge down a little, It's not an expensive guitar so i wouldn't be sending it for a repair or neck reset.
Just wonder what other folk would do?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16725
    Check everything else first, especially relief and nut height.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14464
    By how much do the open strings clear the first fret?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • dazzer22dazzer22 Frets: 44
    less than 1mm,   around 0.75mm
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    dazzer22 said:
    less than 1mm,   around 0.75mm
    Sounds much too high - and it makes a surprising difference to the action. To check it accurately, fret each string at the 3rd fret, and look at the gap between the string and the 1st fret - it should be *tiny*, typically as little at 1/4 of the string diameter and as low as 1/10 of it.

Once the nut is right, get the neck as straight as you can without it rattling in the low positions - if you can get it dead straight before that happens, so much the better - while a little relief is usually a good thing, if you’re fighting a high action then none is OK.

After those two things are done, see where you are with the action - it may be better than you think.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein