Not another 'Which Amp'? thread :)

andyg_prsandyg_prs Frets: 57
edited March 8 in Amps
This started with me hearing how great the new Revv G50 sounds in the Namm vids....but looking for more videos, even Shawn Tubbs on the crunch channel seems to go straightinto hotrod territory and doesn't show that channel at low gain - makes me wonder if it does that well.  I will try to play with one when they hit this country, if I can find one in stock somewhere.

Wishlist includes the amp not being full size / weight, lunchbox amps or similar ideal.

I'm currently using an ES-5 for switching two different gain pedals over a clean channel of an Ironball... I'd prefer to get as much from the amp itself.....probably means some indepent EQs per channel.

The clean channel is super important to me.  I'd say Fenderish but I actually loved the clean channel on my Marshall TSL122 until the amp died (despite spending a lot on trying to fix it)....and the amp also hurt my back many times!

The pedals I use are a Keeley modded DS-1 which I use for just breaking up sounds.....still has a little more fizz than I'd like
For more I have a CM Plexitone - sounds great.
Modern high gain - I currently do this with the gain channel of an Engl Ironball

I should say for the gain sounds that I do really like open, high clarity sounds.......

It feels being able to switch most sounds on the amp might be more up my street.   I'm bound to need a pedal at one end of the spectrum....e.g. just breaking up or full on gain.

I also use a CaptorX for straight to FoH.....the Revv has that functionality built in....

So I know one amp can't be all things to all people.....I still have this dream that there is an amp that could perhaps do the clean/break up/plexi thing.....and then a pedal for the modern high gain.....but yeah.....just trying to find that new amp that excites me.....and it's very difficult to find places that have the things side by side I'd love to try.

What amp is going to blow me away.....and not be huge?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monkey42monkey42 Frets: 340
    edited March 9
    SLO 30, start on the crunch channel for your low/mid gain,  then no pedals needed for gain with clarity on the lead channel
  • andyg_prsandyg_prs Frets: 57
    monkey42 said:
    SLO 30, start on the crunch channel for your low/mid gain,  then no pedals needed for gain with clarity on the lead channel
    Amazingly I tried one and it didn’t do much for me!
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 263
    Weird but cheap option: Epiphone Socal 50 or one of the various clones eg Grainger Hammerhead. Does have that Fender/Marshall middle ground. There's a couple of the Grainger versions around for sale at the moment for about £250.
    Granted it isn't lunchbox but they aren't that heavy.
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4837
    edited March 10
    My Suhr PT15IR in the classifieds......

On a serious note, it will do what you ask and the clean is really good (better with delay/verb in the loop though), and balances well. All of it is switchable with a TRS cable and your ES5. The independent bright switches negate the shared Eq I find.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• andyg_prsandyg_prs Frets: 57
    Boromedic said:
    My Suhr PT15IR in the classifieds......

On a serious note, it will do what you ask and the clean is really good (better with delay/verb in the loop though), and balances well. All of it is switchable with a TRS cable and your ES5. The independent bright switches negate the shared Eq I find.
    To be honest the PT15IR is on my list to try.  Before prices started to go crazy (crazier) there was one advertised on here at £1,800.

I'd definitely have to try it out though and I'm in Gloucestershire.  I tried an Ironball SE (I have the original and it has a suprisingly good clean channel)....the stock IRs were absolutely horrible.  I bought and was gifted a couple of York IRs, which were much better (I struggle to understand how Engl can build such great amps and not instantly know that the IRs supplied were awful) but nowhere near the CaptorX cab simulation.  Difficult to know how the IRs with the PT15 would compare.

I can see that independent bright switches would help with the shared eq.....again.....something that would have to be tested out.