Peavey Rage 158 Transtube OHMS question

spev11spev11 Frets: 333
Just a quick one this morning,
I've just bought a cheap Rage158 to keep in work, its 4ohm out, the speaker is likely to be gash (and its small) , I have a little 10" cab doing nothing with a VT Jr 8ohm in it, will the world explode and suck us all into a black hole if I connect the 4Ohm rage to the 8ohm cab?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    Don't underestimate the speaker in the Rage, it's not that bad - but a 10" of almost any kind will sound bigger and fuller. It's completely safe - you'll just get slightly less power - but the greater sensitivity of the 10" speaker will roughly offset it, so you won't lose volume.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• YorkieYorkie Frets: 1506
    Others know more about this, but I believe it should be fine. The problem would be the other way around, min 8 ohm out into 4 ohm cab?
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• spev11spev11 Frets: 333
    ta both, I just plugged it in for 5 mins and its really quite good (although my mate says every amp sounds fantastic in my workplace for some reason). Maybe i'll fit a switching socket so I can have the option
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    Yorkie said:

The problem would be the other way around, min 8 ohm out into 4 ohm cab?
    Yes - don't do that with a solid-state amp. It's almost always OK with a valve one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein