NSWLD Monty’s Strat Upgrade

tone1tone1 Frets: 5170
edited March 9 in Making & Modding
New Strat Wiring Loom Day……Well, it’s persisting down today so I took the plunge, fired up the old soldering iron and fitted my new Monty’s loom to my Cunetto Strat (as the 5-way had packed up)….Bugger me, it only worked 1st time with no messing about)….The only mod I did was to move the lower tone control to the bridge (one wire move)…..and leave the middle pickup wide open with no tone control (as per the way my Cunetto came to me)….

So, what mods would you have done? Do I add some sort of treble bleed, or should I have just linked the tone control to have middle & bridge on the same lower tone pot? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14465
    edited March 9
    You can - and should - do whatever makes the instrument work best for you.

I would bring the bridge pickup into the tone circuit by adding a jumper wire on the selector switch. 

The existing tone controls are treble bleeds. The thing that some people add to a volume pot is a treble bypass.

A vintage-style Stratocaster ought to be trebly enough not to require a bypass network.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5170
    Thanks @Funkfingers ;
    Ah, it’s the treble bypass I was thinking about. I might try the link to the middle pickup seeing the tone control (along with the bridge) & report back. 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5170
    The CRL switch feels fantastic….
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    You can - and should - do whatever makes the instrument work best for you.

I would bring the bridge pickup into the tone circuit by adding a jumper wire on the selector switch. 

The existing tone controls are treble bleeds. The thing that some people add to a volume pot is a treble bypass.

A vintage-style Stratocaster ought to be trebly enough not to require a bypass network.
    I agree that it's the wrong term, but everyone uses it. If you try to google "treble bypass", you'll get nowhere.

I think the ship has sailed on getting the term right, basically. Bit like "tremolo" etc..