John Squire & Liam on Rossy….

What's Hot
tone1tone1 Frets: 5175
edited March 10 in Live
Did anyone see John Squire & Liam on Rossy last night…..JS was effortlessly brilliant & looked so relaxed on stage….So before you all say “it’s in his fingers” what pedals will get me in this sound ballpark (what’s he using?) 

That Strat neck looked ultra flamey too.  <3

https://youtu.be/FoTJ4ngnQ88?si=D5qhrlwimj7q3_gx
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3279
    I'd have rather heard Barrie Cadogan on lead and JS on bass B)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5175
    Little Barrie is super cool…. =)
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7347
    Unfortunately I didn't see them perform.  I switched channels during the interview because it was excruciating listening to a host trying in vain to get some conversation flowing or even prompt an elongated answer from either.
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3279
    tone1 said:
    Little Barrie is super cool…. =)
    You took that well...I was aware that I was the first response and taking a crap on the OP in true tFB style ;)

tone1 said:
    Did anyone see John Squire & Liam on Rossy last night…..JS was effortlessly brilliant & looked so relaxed on stage….So before you all say “it’s in his fingers” what pedals will get me in this sound ballpark (what’s he using?)
    Unfortunately, I think it mostly is JS' style and what/how he's playing. The 'tone ballpark' seems to be mostly strat neck pickup into overdriven amp.

What he's playing is G major pentatonic noodles (or E minor shape centred on G). When it gets a bit more jammy towards the end, he's sticking with the Em pentatonic and playing with that major/minor feel (major/minor third on the E chord...getting a bit mixolydian).
  • I’m thinking there might be a Hendrixy fuzz face/tone bender tone in there? Or on some of the album’s leads, at least. 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11804
    Crikey - that's a bit of a masterclass in "how to be the only guitarist in an indie rock and roll band" isn't it?

I feel like I learnt some stuff watching that - I love the relaxed strumming on the chorus where Liam is belting out some "Liam", then the little fills and solos.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3337
    Kemper for the record and live. 
    I’m thinking it’s a dialled down fuzz of some sorts….
    I also adore the fact he’s sat on the couch on prime time TV, or being ‘interviewed’ by Jonny Vaughan on radio X….not saying much, but then that’s Liam’s expertise….I also adored the Seahorses (oh yeah, the roses weren’t bad either  =))….I thought the solo on the 1st single sounded a bit blocky sound wise, but I just thought last night’s tone was ace….
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3884
    Yeh, that sounds superb. 

First time I heard the solo on Just another rainbow, my first thought was small tweed amp, but who knows?
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 676
    edited March 10
    Playing was fine, but pretty unremarkable. Singing was pretty terrible.
    Song was totally forgettable. 

I really like squires playing generally and didn't mind oasis (I really liked Deffo) but this was pretty poor imo. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1359
    Yep - from the Guitarist mag interview:

"I get stuff working and then five years later, everything is obsolete and it’s a major crisis," Squire says of whether he follows the latest guitar technology closely. "I will be using the 
    Kemper Profiler with in-ears live. I was talked into that by my tech because of the advantage it gives the sound guy, getting a clean sound, because there’s no bleed. There will be real cabs on stage, though, because Liam likes to hear the guitar.” 

(I think there were some effects units mentioned in the interview as well?)

Personally - I thought the whole band sounded phenomenal - and what a superb musician Squire is and the songwriting thrust he's given to Liam Gallagher who sounds on form here. 
    I really should be more familiar with Squire then I am.
    I envy those of you seeing them live this year.
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6897
    Looking forward to seeing them live on Thursday!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6506
    On YouTube, there were a surprising number of comments about how the vocals had either been mimed or edited afterwards. Clearly not true; I think it is easy to forget that, if you can see past the affectations (imaginaaaayyyyshiiiiiiuuuuuun), Liam's a decent singer with a strong voice. 

I'm old enough to remember when Indie bands were always obscure bands who almost made a virtue out of their lack of vocal prowess, as if being a good singer was somehow selling out. Then we got Ian Brown.
    It was quite a pleasant surprise, when Oasis came out, for an Indie band to have a singer who could both belt the songs out AND do it in tune.

That said, I can't be doing with guitarists who stand there looking bored, like Squire here (and Rich Robinson from the Black Crowes). I know Squire is a shy chap, but come on.

An unremarkable song elevated by Liam's performance. Probably true of most of Oasis' hits, to be fair, but this is only one step or so above The Seahorses, who were rubbish.

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3884
    Well that's depressing
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
    Totally not my cup of tea. I didn't think that much of the playing or the tightness of the band, overall, either. Some slightly odd things happening timing-wise, and the guitar playing was paint-by-numbers.

I say that as someone who liked the Stone Roses, likes Little Barrie's own stuff, and who thinks Gallagher has a great iconic indie-rock voice (even if I think he's a dickhead).
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    I've watched this about four times. I'm not keen on his voice so that's always a barrier. It's basically modern, white blues missing a shuffle and Squire is playing from the Big Book of Blues Licks. Which is fine, makes it more accessible for someone like me. It's okay but it's pretty unremarkable, I think Jools Holland adding some boogie woogie piano to it would help. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27136
    edited March 11
    I feel like the only person sitting here thinking the emperor has no clothes. Utterly bland for me - just not on the same plane of existence as most of both of their previous output. 

I'm fully onboard with a 90's indie band revival after a decade+ of 80s stuff, but the key to that is great songs and this ain't it babe. 

And @RocknRollDave even Seahorses had that one song with a great riff (the name of which, admittedly, completely escapes me) 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4723
    I feel like the only person sitting here thinking the emperor has no clothes. Utterly bland for me - just not on the same plane of existence as most of both of their previous output. 

I'm fully onboard with a 90's indie band revival after a decade+ of 80s stuff, but the key to that is great songs and this ain't it babe. 

And @RocknRollDave even Seahorses had that one song with a great riff (the name of which, admittedly, completely escapes me) 
    No you're absolutely right.  Take away nostalga and there's not much left.

I actually find it pretty depressing that this is the best they can come up with.  Never been a massive Liam fan but grew up in Manchester as a massive Roses/Indie fan, so hoped this would be something notable.  

An unremarkable song elevated by Liam's performance. Probably true of most of Oasis' hits, to be fair, but this is only one step or so above The Seahorses, who were rubbish.

Sounds terribly nasal to me, more than he used to be.  It really grates on me personally, along with the terrible lyrics.

• the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1800
    Pretty sure there was an AC30 and a Marshall of some sort for the recording but that they were modelled on a Kemper for the live stuff.