Guitar shielding paint or copper foil adhesive tape

What's Hot
I want to shield the cavities of a single coil guitar and was wondering if the conductive paint is as good as copper foil tape. I've done the latter before and it's a bit of a faff and takes a while. I've never used the paint so if I go that route what the recommendation. The guitar specific ones are predictably expensive but their are other conductive paints available that should probably work. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28386
    I used spray-on conductive  paint in my Talman, and brush-on in my cello. The latter was easier. Both knocked out 90%+ of the buzz from old fashioned dimmers. The I got proper dimmers and the rest went too. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6879
    edited March 10
    I’m doing copper foil screening in a PRS Vela cavity at the moment. It’s a pain in arse as there’s lots of complex surfaces. Will paint next time I do one.

is it critical to shield every little surface of the cavity?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28386
    I wouldn't say critical, but the better the coverage the better the shielding. Noise gets in through gaps. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Foil is better than paint, but it is a faff. Paint can be quite effective - although the quality varies - but I'm certain that foil is better because I've re-done a few which had paint shielding but were still noisy, and the foil stopped it completely.

To do foil really thoroughly you not only have to cut pieces to cover every bit of the surface, you also need to solder the joints - the 'conductive' adhesive isn't good enough, at least in the longer term when it dries out. All you need is one small spot of solder across the join between any two pieces, so it isn't as hard as that sounds.

I think Jonathan @FelineGuitars either has or can recommend a specific type of (I think) very high nickel content paint which is better than the typical - and very dirty to work with - carbon-based stuff.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1943
    ICBM said:
    Foil is better than paint, but it is a faff. Paint can be quite effective - although the quality varies - but I'm certain that foil is better because I've re-done a few which had paint shielding but were still noisy, and the foil stopped it completely.

To do foil really thoroughly you not only have to cut pieces to cover every bit of the surface, you also need to solder the joints - the 'conductive' adhesive isn't good enough, at least in the longer term when it dries out. All you need is one small spot of solder across the join between any two pieces, so it isn't as hard as that sounds.

I think Jonathan @FelineGuitars either has or can recommend a specific type of (I think) very high nickel content paint which is better than the typical - and very dirty to work with - carbon-based stuff.
    I did exactly that on my test bed Telecaster and it worked well. I think on the basis of what you said I'm going to stick with copper tape. The adhesive on the stuff I used didn't seem to be very conductive, it at all, and I ended up soldering across the joins and testing at various points from end to end to check 'alles im ordnung'. 

Ian

• RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    I prefer copper tape to paint. Even if you can get proper black carbon paint, the type used to coat items before copper plating, it doesn’t conduct as well as tape. The anti-slug tape sold by garden centres has a sawtooth edge along one side, which is useful when fitting around the sides of a cavity. As others have said, use a blob of solder across each joint. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1943
    Tape it is then. Thanks chaps. 

Ian

• Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    edited March 10
    Paint is my preferred method tape is a pain to use and can cause problems with shorting .
    I used the Crimson paint until it ran out and bought a big tin of Rustins shielding paint from Amazon.
    https://amzn.eu/d/0U9jhvm
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11598
    tFB Trader
    I have been using G Shield quite a lot since Rustins approached me to trial it and feed back.

I do have some of the nickel paint spare if someone wants it - you would need to collect as I don't want to ship it.

The copper foil is good but got tired of cutting my fingers on it

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• LessPaulLessPaul Frets: 60
    Copper tape for me - Yes  it’s a bit of a palaver’  but again it suits me :+1: 
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 538
    I have been using G Shield quite a lot since Rustins approached me to trial it and feed back.

I do have some of the nickel paint spare if someone wants it - you would need to collect as I don't want to ship it.

How are you finding the G Shield?
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7284
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27107
    I quite enjoy applying the copper tape. Am I odd? 

*I mean I know I am, but am I extra odd? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 538
    BillDL said:
    Ah yes I had read that. I remembered someone had said they didn’t like shielding paint as it was messy and rubbed off but I couldn’t remember which brand it was. 
  • BowksBowks Frets: 414

@FelineGuitars ;Yes please! It is Rich, the chap with the orange Strandy