1st Hand Experiences? Seat Ateca, Peugeot 3008, Kia Sportage (2019/2020 models)

What's Hot
SnagsSnags Frets: 5371
After the recent self-immolation of my i40, and having finally got a figure out of the insurance, I need to sort out something else.

I've done my basic research, and for Reasons (sub-categories: good, valid, mine) have decided that it's likely to be:
  • 2019/2020 model
  • Petrol
  • Manual
  • Kia Sportage, Peugeot 3008 or Seat Ateca
If anyone here has actually owned one or more of the above, I'd be interested in your opinions - best car you ever bought? worst mistake you ever made? fine, just a boring car with all the usual minor niggles that come with cars? etc.

I can (and have) read all the website reviews, comparisons and opinion pieces for myself, but they're often either vague, ambiguous, biased or not actually about the relevant model you're looking at. Plus once you look at the cons/potential faults you'd never buy anything, or from any source. So, whilst not statistically valid, actual owner input, positive or negative, could be useful.

Thanks in anticipation.

(And yes, I appreciate that this is almost certainly going to get me a bunch of alternative recommendations, and opinions from people who haven't owned them but have read the same websites I have, maybe more, and I accept that, but I'm mostly interested in direct, or at the very least personal one step removed, experiences :) ).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    I started saying we had a 3008  turn I’m reminded it was a 2008 and it predates your timeline (doh!). So I’ll just the the 2014 2008 petrol with the increased petrol engine size was excellent.  when we changes to a Citroen Cactus c4, it has exactly the same dimensions and wheels, and wheel grip software, and apps etc, I think they are pretty much the same car.  
    sorry wrong car in hindsight but we did very well with it, including in France !
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    I’ve got a Sportage. It’s been totally reliable not so much as a bulb gone in it. It’s well built and drives well. Had it four and a half years. It’s a 1.7 diesel. The petrol versions are known to be quite thirsty. There’s a thread over in friends in need I think it was called ‘car dealer issues’ where I explained how I keep on top of DPF, EGR issues. 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    edited March 11
    Currently have an Ateca and had a Koraq in 2018 when they were first released. Honestly it’s a boring family car - it does what it’s supposed to do which is carry a decent load (2 kids and a dog) from A-B with no issues. 

Which is exactly what I need, I’m not a petrolhead and have no real interest in cars. 

Check the spec if you go for an Ateca and don’t rule out the Karoq. I’m pretty sure Skoda give you slightly higher spec in the trim at various price points.

The 1 litre engine (if they still do it) is underpowered though we found. Go for the 1.5. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    edited March 11
    I have a 308 which I believe is the same car underneath as the 3008. Mine's pre-facelift, a year older than you're looking at. Got it ex-demo at nine months old with a few thousand on the clock for a fraction over half its original list price.

I like it. Mine's a 150-brake diesel, it drives well and is very comfortable. Check the vanity alloys though, mine is GTLine spec and has big old wheels. The low profile tyres do rob a bit of ride comfort in exchange for vanity! It's a lovely motorway cruiser and has plenty of toys to play with. Check the driving position - I like the look-over-the-steering-wheel perch and so does my wife, but it's not for everyone.

I think the facelift cars you'll be looking at have carplay and whatnot which is a good thing as the built in satnav is rudimentary. It finds its way but it can be a bit awkward to use. The auto wipers are laughably bad but then I've never driven a car with good ones.

It's been reliable apart from a NOx sensor in the exhaust going wonky. Not a big labour charge, but the part was dearer than it needed to be (OEM only, thanks Stellantis you robbing twats). Other than that, in the six or so years we've had it, it's not put a foot wrong. They were considered very reliable at the time - I notice the Old Bill in Manchester drive them, so that's an endorsement of sorts I guess.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26998
    I had a rental Sportage in 2019. Absolutely one of the most competent and also one of the most boring cars I’ve ever driven. But aside from being boring I could fault it in any way. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Go with either the Ateca or Sportage. 

You'll regret getting a Peugeot. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10272

My son has a 2019 Ateca, though an automatic rather than manual. It's only a 1.2 but it's a right pocket rocket. Surprisingly quick for the engine size. It's a decent family car, he loves it.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12363
    I have the Tiguan which is same engine as the ateca, the 1.5 TSI engine is great and they are a good size sit up high and comfy for 4 with big boots but not massive footprint.  

I previously had the sportage, was a 2017 though, I had the diesel auto and was good to drive and simple to use ( unlike the Tiguan which can be like flying a fighter jet at times). 
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    We have a 2018 Seat Ateca.

Only issue we've had with it are the solenoid for the petrol cap latch failing.
    Ours is the 1.4, the 2019 is 1.5.

Manual versions of the 1.5 are known for stalling or very jerky take-off. VAG are aware of the issue and say it's an "engine characteristic" rather than a fault.
    The automatic doesn't have the same issue, though I'd be inclined to go for the 2 litre if I wasn't doing many miles.

Interior is comfortable and has all the features you'd want. I think the 2019 has a full digital dash which works very well (I had the same dash in my Golf GTD).

The ride on the Ateca is pretty good, and it drives pretty much like a larger Golf. I've not driven a Sportage but I think the sportier trims are pretty firm.

It's worth noting that the Seat Ateca, VW Tiguan and Skoda Karoq are mechanically the same car.

If I were buying again I'd get the Karoq in automatic SEL trim and digital dashboard.

SEL trim and above (but not sportline) on the Karoq have very clever flexible back seats that are individually removable, which would be very handy when you basically want a van, or one rear passenger but need lots of luggage space.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    Oh yes,  check out which replaceable such as from and rear wiper blades are done by Halfords at £10 a go, and not £80 from a dealer by appointment !
  • DuploLicksDuploLicks Frets: 257
    Snags said:
    After the recent self-immolation of my i40
    Tell us more! 

2013 diesel Sportage here. Dull to drive - yup. Everything else required of a family wagon - brilliant!
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2265
    Hopefully not an electric vehicle fire caused by batteries....
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5371
    Thanks all for the responses to date. Dull and uninspiring isn't a problem, a car is just a means to get a bunch of shit from A to B as far as I'm concerned. As long as it does that without falling apart or actively trying to kill me, and will last a good few years if properly maintained, I'm a happy man.

Interesting about the manual Ateca having a clunky transmission; not read that anywhere, although a friend said elsewhere that they found the Karoq a bit lumpy, and I also hadn't realised that the Ateca and Karoq shared that much heritage (I really only care about cars when I have to go through the pain of buying a new one).

@joneve Why the downer on Peugeot? My only experience was 25+ years ago when Mrs Snags had a 106 as a company car, and it was fine, for what it was.

@DuploLicks short version is I was driving to a local venue with a bunch of gear in the car, engine light came on, which wasn't unknown and was an officially confirmed "no cause for concern, bring it in when you can", then ALL the warning lights came on, speedo died, rev counter died, battery discharge warning on the main display etc. so pulled over to phone the breakdown people. Engine compartment smoking quite heavily, and before I'd finished dialling it got a bit flamey so I switched to calling 999 instead, then getting the gear out the back and running it back up the road as fast as I could (not very fast with a DSL40CR, pedalboard, guitar and cable box, but fast enough).

I can only assume it was an eletrical fault that let go big style.

There then followed an epic saga trying to get the underwriter to actually reach the agreed value and paying out stage, which I have just (literally, they've just asked for my account details) nearly come to the end of, after having to get the broker involved to kick their arses.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Adey said:
    Hopefully not an electric vehicle fire caused by batteries....

No, should have said, petrol vehicle, conventional flamey flamey pop pop whuff kind of thing. Can't add this one to the "electric cars explode on sight" paranoia :)
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    Peugeot lean into their "Frenchness" at times so have some unusual quirks. Most have steering wheels a fair bit smaller than you'll be used to, and they tend to obscure the instrument binnacle.

The manual gearbox on the Ateca is fine but it's not up there with for instance the Golf GTI gearbox (and even that isn't one of the great manual gearboxes)
    The chugging/stalling is due to engine software rather than the gearbox as such, but would definitely push me towards the automatic. As far as I know the DSG on the 1.5 is a wet clutch type so should be pretty reliable. They're a little jerkier at low speeds than a torque converter but I like them just fine (I've owned 2 DSG equipped cars, the newer 7 speed on 2017 and onward cars is far better than the older 6 speed unit).

Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1066
    edited March 12
    I had the brand new 3008 (auto petrol, not manual though). The small steering wheel is nice. Others may disagree. Very plush and luxurious driving seat. Best driving seat I've ever been on. They call it I-cockpit i believe and for good reason. Yes there are plastic bits but the pros outweigh those. 

My only 3 gripes: the infotainment system, speed limiter, and reversing camera. Could never get Android Auto to work on it and the built in media system isn't the quickest. Was a faff to get the speed Limiter to detect and adjust to road speed limits. The reversing camera is laggy as hell. I hated it because it's bordering on unsafe.
    Thanks all, much appreciated.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Snags said:
    Thanks all for the responses to date. Dull and uninspiring isn't a problem, a car is just a means to get a bunch of shit from A to B as far as I'm concerned. As long as it does that without falling apart or actively trying to kill me, and will last a good few years if properly maintained, I'm a happy man.

Interesting about the manual Ateca having a clunky transmission; not read that anywhere, although a friend said elsewhere that they found the Karoq a bit lumpy, and I also hadn't realised that the Ateca and Karoq shared that much heritage (I really only care about cars when I have to go through the pain of buying a new one).

@joneve Why the downer on Peugeot? My only experience was 25+ years ago when Mrs Snags had a 106 as a company car, and it was fine, for what it was.

@DuploLicks short version is I was driving to a local venue with a bunch of gear in the car, engine light came on, which wasn't unknown and was an officially confirmed "no cause for concern, bring it in when you can", then ALL the warning lights came on, speedo died, rev counter died, battery discharge warning on the main display etc. so pulled over to phone the breakdown people. Engine compartment smoking quite heavily, and before I'd finished dialling it got a bit flamey so I switched to calling 999 instead, then getting the gear out the back and running it back up the road as fast as I could (not very fast with a DSL40CR, pedalboard, guitar and cable box, but fast enough).

I can only assume it was an eletrical fault that let go big style.

There then followed an epic saga trying to get the underwriter to actually reach the agreed value and paying out stage, which I have just (literally, they've just asked for my account details) nearly come to the end of, after having to get the broker involved to kick their arses.
    Only had bad experiences with Peugeot and Renault. 

Currently in a Skoda Kodiaq SE L DSG (my second one), the Karoq's big brother and both cars have been the best I've ever owned. 
    Thanks, appreciated