Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    we will all probably hear it...!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Enjoy!

Su
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5754
    That’s your loud and proud right there. Nice. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1505
    Great amp. Cleaner than a motherfucker. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 853
    Probably the heaviest amp I ever owned, great sound though…enjoy.
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72369
    One of the best amps ever made. They sound great at any volume from a whisper clean up to overdriven outdoor gig volume. If you ever get the chance to properly crank it you may be surprised how dirty they get.

These ones are quite light too - only about 65lb from memory. If you want truly heavy - and much louder and cleaner - try a late-70s silverface 135W model with the optional Gauss speakers... madness.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Can you overdrive that thing without getting killed? 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1445
    One of the all time great amps.  I had a 15-20 year love affair with my 100W SFTR.

Congrats.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yorkie said:
    Yes... they're not *that* loud. The Beatles used two of them on the rooftop gig and were getting a fair amount of drive from them - it's not Marshall Super Lead volume. I think people are so used to cranking low-power amps and higher power master volume amps with the master turned down that they've forgotten - or never known - what a proper overdriven big amp sounds like :).

Epic, but not unusably loud. Keep the treble down and the bass up a bit and it will limit the cutting tone, and give that flubby Beatley thickness. Or just crank the treble and get the Big Brother & The Holding Company Ball And Chain tone - not for everyone, it has to be said... but you can't get that visceral rawness with modern gear, it just doesn't work.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I get all my drive from pedals so I'm just interested in its brilliant clean tone. Plenty of headroom is what I'm after
    ICBM said:
    Yorkie said:
    Yes... they're not *that* loud (...) - it's not Marshall Super Lead volume.
    Killed by the mids, then. 

Yorkie said:

Partly - the Twin doesn’t have the cutting upper mid that the Marshall does even with the mid control up full. It also doesn’t have the same sheer power, although both are rated about the same (even when the Twin went to 100W) - the Marshall is typically up to 130W clean and gets a lot more heavily overdriven, so will easily exceed 200W flat-out, and sounds great like that, whereas the Twin stops sounding good long before that so people don’t push them that hard. Plus a closed 4x12” (or two) is more sensitive and more directional than an open-back 2x12”.

That’s not to say the Twin is quiet overdriven! They’re still loud - just not as painfully loud as you might expect, and the reason people use them for clean headroom is that they’re the minimum amount of power you need for that with a Fender combo, a Pro or a Super break up a bit too early. At normal drummer volume, a Twin isn’t far off that.

But I do think it’s quite funny that the most renowned overdrive amp (Super Lead) has a wonderful clean tone, and the most renowned clean amp (Twin) actually sounds fantastic overdriven!

• jonnygreentreesjonnygreentrees Frets: 671
    edited March 12
    ICBM said:
    Yorkie said:

Partly - the Twin doesn’t have the cutting upper mid that the Marshall does even with the mid control up full. It also doesn’t have the same sheer power, although both are rated about the same (even when the Twin went to 100W) - the Marshall is typically up to 130W clean and gets a lot more heavily overdriven, so will easily exceed 200W flat-out, and sounds great like that, whereas the Twin stops sounding good long before that so people don’t push them that hard. Plus a closed 4x12” (or two) is more sensitive and more directional than an open-back 2x12”.

That’s not to say the Twin is quiet overdriven! They’re still loud - just not as painfully loud as you might expect, and the reason people use them for clean headroom is that they’re the minimum amount of power you need for that with a Fender combo, a Pro or a Super break up a bit too early. At normal drummer volume, a Twin isn’t far off that.

But I do think it’s quite funny that the most renowned overdrive amp (Super Lead) has a wonderful clean tone, and the most renowned clean amp (Twin) actually sounds fantastic overdriven!
    I tried a Fender ’68 Custom Pro Reverb in Andertons and I was surprised how much it broke up at "rehearsal" volume compared to my Blues Deluxe which is also a 40 watt combo. In fact the hot rod deluxe and blues deluxe had the most clean headroom out of all 40 watt amps I tried, which was partly the reason I decided to upgrade to the Twin, as that headroom is really important for me 
  • First rehearsal done and I love it! The sweet spot seems to be around 5 on the volume knob and my board sounded great through it