Bright Eyes

What's Hot
Placidcasual79Placidcasual79 Frets: 982
Ok I understand that I may be hugely late to what it probably a very low key, eyes on the ground, plaid shirt, shrugging a lot kind of party -  but I've just discovered this beauty and want to know where to go from here..... their page on iTunes is confusing..... lots of records called 'companion pieces'  anyone any tips on whats good and where to start?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pArYJpfKao

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9802
    I'm a massive Bright Eyes fan, being quite Emo in general and liking folk influenced music - there's a lot to be getting on with from them if you're new to it, and there will be some misses as well as some hits as it gets quite experimental and deliberately obscure at times

The Companion releases I think are just commentaries on the tracks maybe?

My favourite albums are Fevers and Mirrors, I'm Wide Awake It's Morning (which has First Day Of My Life) and Cassadaga, but some of the other records have some spectacular moments.

Favourite songs would probably be Waste of Paint, False Advertising, Road to Joy, Sunrise Sunset, Lover I don't Have to Love...i could go on. Brilliant writer in Conor Oberst, unique voice vocally and lyrically, and his band is always an interesting mix. 
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I'm Wide Awake is probably their most "easy listening" as it's very traditional sounding and has Emmy Lou Harris. Cassadaga is a mix of the radio friendly stuff and some more polished experiments so they'd be a good start.

Earlier records can be a bit challenging to listen to straight off the bat but once you get into the zone of their music they are well worth it
  • horsehorse Frets: 1569
    edited March 11
    I'm a massive Bright Eyes fan, being quite Emo in general and liking folk influenced music - there's a lot to be getting on with from them if you're new to it, and there will be some misses as well as some hits as it gets quite experimental and deliberately obscure at times

The Companion releases I think are just commentaries on the tracks maybe?

My favourite albums are Fevers and Mirrors, I'm Wide Awake It's Morning (which has First Day Of My Life) and Cassadaga, but some of the other records have some spectacular moments.

Favourite songs would probably be Waste of Paint, False Advertising, Road to Joy, Sunrise Sunset, Lover I don't Have to Love...i could go on. Brilliant writer in Conor Oberst, unique voice vocally and lyrically, and his band is always an interesting mix. 
     Good advice here. First 2 fave tracks that sprang to mind for me were Lover I don't have to love, and If the Brakeman turns my way.

My first intro to them was this great cover:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72425
    edited March 12
    Conor Oberst has a somewhat unusual singing manner, so be prepared for that... some people find it difficult.

Cassadaga is probably my favourite album, and I think probably the most accessible, but there's good stuff on all of them.

This is one of my favourite songs -

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12373
    I listened to his first album a lot when it came out, great songs. I really like the Monsters of Folk album too, sort of a supergroup with him,  M Ward and others. Fav track is that one, which I first heard on the radio whilst driving through the Canadian Rockies, a bit of a what the fuck is this moment.

"OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4929
    I thought it was going to be this classic performance.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Just checked on Spotify and the Companion versions seem to be different arrangements of the songs, not commentaries. I'd stick to the original non-companion versions if you're just getting into the band personally!

(Guess what artist I have on shuffle on the train this morning...)
    Reminds me of something else I love about the albums is the sheer scale of the "soundstage" for want of a better word. Listening with headphones you hear a really wide surround sound and some really subtle details in the background, or stage left/right etc. Just beautiful arrangements of excellent tunes
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 371
    I'm a big fan of Conor Oberst, I would recommend all of his guitar based stuff and avoid things such as Digital Ash In A Digital Urn.

His solo stuff is great, the albums with the Mystic Valley Band, Better Oblivion Community Centre with Phoebe Bridgers album is great, as is the Monsters Of Folk album.

There's plenty to get your teeth into.

@jonnyburgo ; I have an interesting story about M Ward and how he came about his fame.

Warning, Howe Gelb content.
  • @thecolourbox - thank you for taking the time to give me a good steer. I am a huge father John misty fan but other than had no idea I was into folk. I am happy with experimental am happy with melodic - I like his voice - I think I'll avoid the companion pieces for now.... I watched a KEXP interview with him and hid did some songs from the down in the weeds album - I was impressed by his conviction and the songs were beautiful - simple, compelling but a lot of finesse..... I am going to invest some time - think I'll start with I am wide awake and then go to Cassadaga and go from there....

thanks again for your considered answers. 

I've had some really good tips on this forum over the years....
    rude.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jfingers said:
    rude.
    Awwww -  thank you too @Jfingers - I appreciate your suggestions - I didn't know some of those other groups he was in. I'll check em' out. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14471
    Guess what artist I have on shuffle on the train this morning.
    Ornette Coleman's Prime Time Band. :-p
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Guess what artist I have on shuffle on the train this morning.
    Ornette Coleman's Prime Time Band. :-p
    Got it in one. I sometimes think you know me better than I do.

@thecolourbox - thank you for taking the time to give me a good steer. I am a huge father John misty fan but other than had no idea I was into folk. I am happy with experimental am happy with melodic - I like his voice - I think I'll avoid the companion pieces for now.... I watched a KEXP interview with him and hid did some songs from the down in the weeds album - I was impressed by his conviction and the songs were beautiful - simple, compelling but a lot of finesse..... I am going to invest some time - think I'll start with I am wide awake and then go to Cassadaga and go from there....

thanks again for your considered answers. 

I've had some really good tips on this forum over the years....
    You're welcome, they are a band I'm really enthusiastic about and it's nice to be able to contribute positively for a change. 

I think the key thing is it's folk-influenced music rather than folk, which is a key difference. Father John Misty also is in that bracket I guess.

Conor Oberst is an incredibly talented writer and performer - he's had a lot of troubles with drugs, booze and depression, hence the emo connections I suppose, but he has a way of describing them so heartbreakingly beautifully with words and melody. Fwiw I think his voice also suits exactly that kind of melancholy, I kind of feel like it's somewhere between the styles of Dylan and Cash but still very much his own thing. I think Cassadaga is kind of like the album where he realised his "voice" creatively was exceptionally good and the album is much more confident as a result 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6694
    edited March 12
    prowla said:
    I thought it was going to be this classic performance.

I preferred his earlier and original version, which is way better. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=elkCXVp_BqU

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You're welcome, they are a band I'm really enthusiastic about and it's nice to be able to contribute positively for a change. 

I think the key thing is it's folk-influenced music rather than folk, which is a key difference. Father John Misty also is in that bracket I guess.

Conor Oberst is an incredibly talented writer and performer - he's had a lot of troubles with drugs, booze and depression, hence the emo connections I suppose, but he has a way of describing them so heartbreakingly beautifully with words and melody. Fwiw I think his voice also suits exactly that kind of melancholy, I kind of feel like it's somewhere between the styles of Dylan and Cash but still very much his own thing. I think Cassadaga is kind of like the album where he realised his "voice" creatively was exceptionally good and the album is much more confident as a result 
    I certainly appreciate you sharing your enthusiasm.

Ah - thats really interesting - I did wonder about the drug and alcohol and depression thing. I've been going through his stuff, the lyrics, his physical appearance.... I thought he'd had some battles. Maybe thats one of the reasons I connect with his music. Some of the live stuff I've seen really varies - he seems like an incredibly committed and brave performer in some instances, you can really feel him inhabiting the songs and in other instances he seems distracted and almost uncomfortable. I like that - it seems he doesn't just 'go through the motions'......

I really like his voice - though I understand why it could be divisive.....

I've started with I am wide awake, it's morning...... I like some of the songs I've seen him perform from Down in the weeds too.....

I've also found Cass McCombs and am excited to get into his stuff as well
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2417
    Was just about to recommend Cass McCombs! He is amazing. The album Catacombs in particular is a masterpiece.
  • Stuckfast said:
    Was just about to recommend Cass McCombs! He is amazing. The album Catacombs in particular is a masterpiece.
    I might give that a go next then..... I've spent a lot of the last two weeks listening to Tip of the Sphere..... it's a great record 
  • DecorativeedDecorativeed Frets: 32
    Have I missed a recommendation of their album 'Lifted or The Story Is in the Soil, Keep Your Ear to the Ground'? I think that has my favourite stuff by them on it, like False Advertising. 

I saw them playing at the Night and Day in Manchester in support of that album about 20 years ago, and they were incredible. The place was packed, all the bar staff (who'd introduced me to Bright Eyes' music previously) loved them and we all sat on the bar so we could see the band over the rest of the crowd.