Cooking steaks on induction hob

What's Hot
strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
edited March 11 in Off Topic
We've an induction hob which is very convenient, and generally use ceramic coated pans.
However, they're not great for the very high heats you need to properly cook a steak (even now that they're ceramic rather than PTFE I'm not sure i want to be ingesting it).
I'm thinking of getting a small cast iron skillet for the occasional steak, but have a couple of questions:
-induction heats extremely fast, can the pan warp/crack?
-is maintaining the pan a pain, particularly if it's only used a few times a year?

Anyone using cast iron on an induction hob, or got any other ideas for a pan that works well at very high heats that isn't non-stick?
Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28202
    I just use a stainless steel pan. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    Very happy with a Hexclad I got for Christmas. 
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1420
    I've a cast iron just for steak and have an induction, no issues here
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1137
    I've got one of these stainless steel pans. It needed to be seasoned first with vegetable oil but it works great and doesn't warp on our induction hob.

de Buyer Mineral B

https://www.debuyer.com/en/461-mineral-b
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 845
    I've used cast iron skillets and cast iron pans on an induction hobs since 2009 and never had a problem with either. I've also got a Le Creuset tagine which has a cast iron base and it's great for searing stuff before low and slow cooking.

IMHO induction is a winner all round and cast iron ware just works with any heat source so it's a great combo :+1: 
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 272
    edited March 11
    If you’re concerned about maintenance for a cast iron pan, as recommended above just get a high quality stainless steel pan. It should do the job just fine. 

I think the maintenance requirements of a cast iron pan are well overblown, but that’s probably because I cook on mine nearly daily. It’s my #1 pan. If it was only a 1-2 times a month tool, I’d probably not bother and use stainless steel. Either way, just use good oil, let the pan come up to temp (for real, give it 10 mins on the hob before any food or oil touches it), clean lightly with dish soap, and then warm to dry out fully. I also purchased a chain mail scrubber to help with the crusty bits. 

Edit- if you are going for cast iron for non stick, the biggest differentiator is getting the pan hot. Not the seasoning, nor the amount of oil. The same goes for stainless steel. My all-clad stainless steel can be nearly as non-stick if you give it plenty of time to warm up. That’s the key that most people miss. 
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1212
    Grabbed a 3X set in 2016 , £25 off amazon. All good, built well. Always used on induction and quite often.

Whatever anyone says they are a PITA to keep comparatively. You cant bung em in the dishwasher.  After a use and a clean, which can need elbow grease and never with detergent, you have to then dry them very quickly  and thoroughly and oil them very quickly and thoroughly. Otherwise they rust... and they will in minutes. They weight a ton and used properly, the handles need be hot enough to melt the skin on your palms during cooking.

Any thick based pan will do so it keeps its heat better. Remember induction can really power the base of the pan. I can make an authentic chinese thin wok glow red on the bottom from cold in 1-2 minutes at max heat on a medium plate with my induction. 

Another vote for heating up the pan whatever you use, especially with induction. Best results are medium heat to warm it up slower and get the whole pan roasting hot over time. Then up the heat to medium high and put in the fat, once it smokes, in with the room temp steak. Flip regularly and dont be tempted to turn the heat down.

All of that is easier with a cast iron pan though and induction is a bit of a marriage made in heaven... Sunday morning breakfast sausages on a very low heat with induction and cast iron, cooked for an hour if needed and turned every 10 mins. Sublime.

Dont worry, be silly.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16676
    Cast iron is easy to look after once seasoned.  Just keep it well oiled.  If you cook anything acidic you can re-season, or just cook something oily next time.

I did once break a cast iron skillet by always dunking it straight after use, but it was a dirt cheap gift set item.  Decent cast iron can take a bit of abuse and still come out good
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 535
    My kind of topic.
    We've got one of these; https://www.netherton-foundry.co.uk/shop/Chef's-pan
    and if I want to do a steak differently I use a Le Cruset skillet.

If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Electromatic
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    edited March 11
    I think cast iron is the only way to cook a steak if you’re not grilling it over open flame.  Butter, salt, heat, done.  I do about 5 minutes on each side then put the pan in the oven at 400• (whatever that is in Celsius) for about 8 minutes.

Are stoves set to Celsius in the UK?

Maintenance isn’t difficult, you just gotta take the time to do it.  I never use soap in mine.  Just boil some water, pour it into the heated pan and let it all boil down a bit as you scrape off the food stuff with something soft like a rubber spatula.  Toss all that down the drain, wipe it down with a paper towel real quick and then oil as needed.

Only in winter, tho.  Any other time it’s over fire.
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 707
    No problems here using cast iron on induction.  
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2465
    I've got one of these stainless steel pans. It needed to be seasoned first with vegetable oil but it works great and doesn't warp on our induction hob.

de Buyer Mineral B

https://www.debuyer.com/en/461-mineral-b
    Just to be that guy, these are carbon steel, not stainless. You don’t want stainless as it doesn’t season, carbon steel will season the same way as cast iron. 

I have these pans, they do work great on my induction hob
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11896
    edited March 11
    I have 2 ultra heavy Stellar ones, about 15 years old now.
    They have some weird coating, so don't need to be seasoned.
    I soak and then scrub them, then sometimes put in dishwasher.
    I use them on a gas hob, but have tried them with an induction, they work fine.
    I get them up to over 200C. By mistake even up to 270C sometimes.

Oil the steak, then salt & pepper, then cook. Don't put oil in the pan
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 577
    A cast iron skillet is the best pan you can use for steaks on any cooker. I have a square one with the grooves in from Aldi ( about £15. ) get really hot, cook full on, with a light spray of oil. You can get the criss cross just like a steak house.
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 638
    I'd imagine you'd want something rather heavy so the temperature doesn't drop when you throw the stake on. 
  • Ladyprettydamned - informed post incoming! She's a fabulous cook who takes it very seriously. 

We use a stainless steel pan mostly. We do have a vintage cast iron skillet we were gifted from the USA, and we sometimes use it, but a stainless steel pan works just as well most of the time. The cast iron is good if you're doing a chunkier piece of meat to avoid it dropping in temp so much, but it's heavy and if you deglaze with acid it can impart a metallic taste, even if properly seasoned (ours certainly is).

We have a Samuel Groves stainless pan - they're UK made and seem good quality without massively outrageous prices. Ours has a pretty copper exterior but that won't contribute to cooking performance. 

We also use carbon steel occasionally, but only for stir fries and eggs in a wok. Works great for a steak, of course, but stainless is so easy to maintain day to day we tend to use that. 

In the case of all three materials, learn use it correctly for best results - you heat them slowly and test the heat by flicking water at it. If the water skates along the surface it's hot enough and you can begin cooking. Heating slowly ensures the pan is heated more evenly. 

All info courtesy of ladyprettydamned. As you may be able to tell, we have a lot of pots and pans... 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28202
    Cranky said:
    I do about 5 minutes on each side then put the pan in the oven at 400• (whatever that is in Celsius) for about 8 minutes.
    Blimey. I usually do 90 seconds to two minutes per side, then rest. Is there anything left after 18 minutes? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5449
    Cast iron all day long. Very easy to clean and maintain, works on any stove type, no hot spots or cold spots, cooks a first-class meal. 

The only drawback is the weight, which can be a bit much for young children and elderly people with wrist trouble. Easy-peasy for the rest of us though.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    edited March 12
    Well I've gone out and bought a small cast iron pan. The outside is enameled so should prevent scrapes on the glass hob. I've also bought a couple of steaks to cook after I season it
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11896
    Tannin said:
    Cast iron all day long. Very easy to clean and maintain, works on any stove type, no hot spots or cold spots, cooks a first-class meal. 

The only drawback is the weight, which can be a bit much for young children and elderly people with wrist trouble. Easy-peasy for the rest of us though.
    When I tried my big heavy cast iron one - hard to lift with one hand, on a smallish induction hob (those portable ones), it was a lot hotter in the centre