What do you want to see from a pickup demo?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9673

What you need is Comparisons.   3 sets or more ideally, but 2 at the very least - loaded into the same guitar, so you can hear the relative differences.    

It also helps if there is a control set - something thats common a lot of people will know the sound of - then compare the other sets to that.

^This. And if the pickups being demo ‘d are for, say, a Strat then they should be compared to an unmodified Strat (probably US Std or whatever it’s called these days).to show the differences most people are likely to encounter.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Don't do "djenty" tones if you're not comfortable doing a proper job on it.  Danish Pete trying to do metal (which he clearly isn't into to) is just a waste of time, especially when the palm muting and pick attack isn't right. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
    edited March 12
    If you're going to compare 2 different pickups do each position/setting of 1 pickup followed by the same for the other. I was watching pickup comparisons Bare Knuckle did and they run through all the settings for set of pickups and then run through them all again for the 2nd, which is pretty much a waste of time if you want to compare the 2 sets sound in each position.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I agree with everyone demanding edits that cut between the two types with no gaps. 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10217
    I largely find them useless because of the variation between guitars, what amp is being used etc. It's really trying to find the specs you want and then trying your luck. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1107
    Clean tones.

Everything sounds the same when the gain goes up.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1445
    Placards and people shouting ‘SCAB’ ideally. ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 578
    I would think it is very difficult to produce a good pick up demo. It is never going to satisfy everyone. Different guitars, different amps  You could probably use a couple of guitars and maybe a couple of amps but I don't think that would help that much.
    I do think pick up makers produce particular pick ups for particular guitars.
    Very very hard to demo.