Shielding a pickguard?

Hey folks

For purely aesthetic reasons I'm changing the scratchplate on my bass. 

The stock pickguard has (silver) foil on the back, covering pretty much the entirety of the guard. 

Is it worth getting a sheet of foil to cover the back of the replacement? Should I only shield the controls (there's no metal control plate, they're mounted to the guard). Should I not bother at all? 

Also, can anyone recommend some foil (preferably in sheets rather than strips)? Can I just use kitchen alu foil and pritt stick or do I need some better stuff?

(electronically its a Dual P setup wired VVT). 

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14463
    If you wish to add foil, just do the control cavity area.

On vintage-style split coils P pickups, twisting the black and white conductors around each other should reduce RF interference.

On modern replacement pickups with 4-conductor + shield output cable, the signal should be fully screened already, regardless of how much graphite paint or foil lines the cavities. e.g. DiMarzio, some Bartolini models.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9650
    I have used kitchen foil in the past. It's pretty durable if you apply it with spray adhesive.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    There's no point in covering anything other than the control cavity area and the wiring channel.

As Funkfingers said, twisting the two wires from the pickup to the controls fairly tightly together will also reduce noise.

Kitchen foil and Pritt will work perfectly well, but you'll usually find proper shielding tape easier to work with.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10496
    tFB Trader
    I would use copper tape or copper foil as you can easily bridge seperate pieces with a blob of solder and all your shielding should be connected together and to ground. When doing my Dynasonic pickup Tele recently I copper lined the pickup compartments, then linked them through the wiring tunnels back to good ground. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message