SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SORTED - anyone got a Gibson SG 61 re-issue for sale?

What's Hot
supessupes Frets: 182
edited March 17 in Guitars £
Looking for a Gibson SG '61 re-issue. Looking for that model in particular because it's lightweight and has a super thin neck. Not interested in the newer '61 Standards because i've tried them and they're not even close to the same specs as the re-issues.

Anybody thinking of selling?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mankytommankytom Frets: 227
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/237449842772455/

I saw this as I was browsing earlier and thought it looks a good price.. no affiliation, look like a dealer but his prices are sensible
  • supessupes Frets: 182
    mankytom said:
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/237449842772455/

I saw this as I was browsing earlier and thought it looks a good price.. no affiliation, look like a dealer but his prices are sensible
    Thanks for this. I'd already seen this a few days ago and sent a message but no reply. I suspect it was a newer SG Standard 61 rather than a re-issue as the seller has a "Sold" one of them on their marketplace profile with the same photo.
    Appreciate you taking the time to highlight it.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    PMd

• mankytommankytom Frets: 227
    No bother man.. good luck with the search! I’d like one myself
  • marxskimarxski Frets: 250
    Do you mean the 60th Anniversary model with the trem plate? Motomusic in Cardiff has one in. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pottolompottolom Frets: 114
    Thanks @pottolom but i can't see a 61 reussue there?
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18778
    ^ Yes, as @supes  knows, Gibson helpfully have the SG '61 which is different to the SG '61 reissue... *facepalm*
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/gibson-sg-standard-61-vs-61-reissue-vs-standard.2178108/
  • pottolompottolom Frets: 114
    Thanks @pottolom. That's the SG standard 61. It's meant to be similar but it's not the same as the 61 reissue they stopped making around 2013/2014. 
    In fact i think every SG (bar the custom etc.) since 2016 have wider necks with a different profile.
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4527
    Out of interest, @supes - what are the differences?  I know the '61 Reissue has the large headstock and a deeper bevel on the body, but from what I can see, both have a 1 11/16" nut width and a Slim Taper profile.  
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

@Jonathangus there's been some spec differences over the years, but neck profile, weight, and 57 classics are main "playing" differences. On paper it might look similar neck profile but playing them side-by-side it's very different. The new Standard 61 has bigger "shoulders" at the neck edges, so although it is slim taper, it's got a much wider feel that's the same as you go up the neck. The reissue doesn't have that. The reissues are really lightweight too. 
    Admittedly I've only tested a few of the new standards, but the wider feel was enough to put me off. If you haven't played a reissue it may not be an issue at all! 
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4527
    Excellent info, thanks.  I've not tried many SGs yet, but I'm not a fan of big necks.  Will have to get my hands on a few and give them a proper go.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• Mudz73Mudz73 Frets: 5
    supes said:
    @Jonathangus there's been some spec differences over the years, but neck profile, weight, and 57 classics are main "playing" differences. On paper it might look similar neck profile but playing them side-by-side it's very different. The new Standard 61 has bigger "shoulders" at the neck edges, so although it is slim taper, it's got a much wider feel that's the same as you go up the neck. The reissue doesn't have that. The reissues are really lightweight too. 
    Admittedly I've only tested a few of the new standards, but the wider feel was enough to put me off. If you haven't played a reissue it may not be an issue at all! 
    I had a beat up 2013 '61 SG RI that i picked up for £250 back in 2018 & it was the nicest SG i've ever had!! Very lightweight & super fast neck! Wish i'd kept it! 

Richard Henry as a 2013 '61 RI up for sale in l9vely condition w/Original case.
  • I’ve a 61 reissue for sale. It has a sideways vibrola