Kneeling down to play.

What's Hot
Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1937
I was reading the recent ES335 thread and I'd just like to point out for those that find it difficult to play seated because of the physical size of the guitar. Why don't you kneel instead. I bought myself one of these kneeling stools about 2 years ago when working from home, as my office chair, and it's amazing what it does for your posture and core strength rather than slouched in an office chair. I started using it for playing guitar and it puts the guitar in the relative position it would be for playing standing. ie. you need to use a strap. They are also double plus good if you're using a pc screen and keyboard, phone, headphones, interfaces etc which are all in easy reach. Think Davros or Colonel White. Except for acoustic/classical I think playing electric sitting down can develop bad technique and posture and hinders the transition to playing standing. Using a kneeling stool is effectively playing standing. Robert Fripp, brilliant as he is, can't really play standing. Maybe Toyah could buy him one for his birthday to say thankyou for him buying her tits, facelift and teeth whitener. [edit : apologies for that :# ]

Just a thought for those 335 players above who might consider it a useful tip. They can be quite expensive; I paid about £120 for mine but it's adjustable. You can get a lot cheaper but also a lot more expensive. I've seen ones very similar to mine for a lot less so i probably was a bit hasty when I bought mine. 

Windmilling from a seated position wouldn't look quite as cool.  ;)

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    I think Davros played synths actually
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    I can't sit at all at the moment, due to a slipped disc; however, I really liked using those saddle seats when I could (you can lower them and move into more of kneeling position).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1937
    Schnozz said:
    I can't sit at all at the moment, due to a slipped disc; however, I really liked using those saddle seats when I could (you can lower them and move into more of kneeling position).
    Ah that doesn't sound good mate. Hope you can get that sorted.
    Are you talking about a drum throne when you say saddle seat? I found those round screw up screw down fender type seats crap. Mine ended up on the local tip I think. I haven't got it anymore anyway. The kneeling stools are brilliant and may help your slipped disc condition. However, please don't go on my advice though; go and ask your doctor and see if they would recommend using one to help strengthen the surrounding muscles in your back. I don't have much of a gut but noticed it flattened what belly I did have quite a bit in just a couple of weeks sitting/kneeling at my desk. I've now upgraded my office and got a twin motor standing desk too. I need to buy a second kneeling stool for guitar use rather than carting it around the house. They're heavier than you think. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• guitarajguitaraj Frets: 47
    tony99 said:
    I think Davros played synths actually
    Dalektric guitar, surely?
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11297
    Can you have the guitar in an apppropriately guitar-hero low-slung position if you're kneeling? 
  • ewalewal Frets: 2583
    I quite often kneel or sit on the floor, mainly for pedal twiddling purposes.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    scrumhalf said:
    Can you have the guitar in an apppropriately guitar-hero low-slung position if you're kneeling? 
    Yes, if you kneel over a Powys County Council pothole. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18769
    Oh, Play! 
    I thought this was a religious instruction thread...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 838
    It may be easy for you nippers, but getting back up for us old farts can be challenging! :)
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    It may be easy for you nippers, but getting back up for us old farts can be challenging! :)
    Stairlift to heaven 
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom