Mesa Subway Rocket

Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
Anyone a fan? There's quite a bit about them online but wondering how you guys feel about them. Need something that will do loud and clean, fairly portable and either fairly modest in price or with a very good master volume/attenuator. Bonus if it has a good dirty channel too. One of these has appeared nearby and wondering if it's worth a punt or best to avoid.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72360
    Avoid, in my opinion.

Dark, middy, boxy, compressed, very loud for its size when overdriven but not much clean headroom. Not subtle or responsive.

I had one on loan, and replaced it with a Peavey Studio Pro 110, which sounded much less congested and had more clean headroom.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
    edited March 14
    @ICBM - pretty comprehensive review cheers! There was a combo and a head for sale I'd seen locally, and I'd expect the head would be less boxy with the right cab but would still fundamentally sound the same. I've still got my Studio Pro 112 but it's down south for the occasional gig. Given you can pick one up for the price of a guitar pedal, I might just buy another of those to have here.
  • PALPAL Frets: 539
    ICBM summed it up. There are better options out there I'm sure.