Set-up Q (high E bends choking out)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    Is it a bow or a twist? I'd be surprised if a bow wasn't fixable (unless it's a back-bow with a single action truss rod).
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    It's bowed, according to the tech. How is that fixable if there's nowhere left to go with the truss? 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7031
    tFB Trader
    Loobs said:
    It's bowed, according to the tech. How is that fixable if there's nowhere left to go with the truss? 
    Has the tech removed the truss rod nut and lubricated it? This can make all the difference.

Depending how bad the bow is, you can dress it out of the frets (they may be too small for this) or defret, plane the board and refret. The latter option would still be cheaper than a new neck and you'd maintain the originality.
    Thanks Steve, let's see what he comes back with. So far, he hasn't done anything to it. I'm very wary of dropping 100s of euros on this guitar. 
    edited March 22
    Does removing the truss rod involve removing the fretboard? It's vintage style, with truss rod access at the neck heel. 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7031
    tFB Trader
    It depends on the construction of the neck but unless it's snapped there's probably no need to replace it.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11901
    probably worth pointing out that some people working as guitar techs can do routine repairs, but have never built a guitar from scratch, or gotten into fundamental repairs of the wood of the neck, or the soundboard of an acoustic, for example.

I always like to understand what range of skills someone has got: are they able to build acoustics from scratch (unusual), repair an acoustic with damage to the soundbox? strictly electrics? can they refret? can they replace or repair fingerboards, etc.

I say this because someone could recommend a replacement neck because they don't know who to repair the faults in one.
    As the experts here have advised, I'd think that unless the neck is broken, or has back-bow, you'd normally think a repair was the best option. 

A new neck would need a lot of bench time to fit and setup correctly too
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom