Dunlop Cry Baby issue?

What's Hot
NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4918
A mate has acquired a Dunlop Cry Baby, model GCB-95, and asked me to test it for him.  I have tried it with 9v battery, 9v power supply, and both together.

The problem is that, while it works, it suffers a large drop in volume when the wah mode is engaged - it's fine when it goes straight through.

Does anyone have any ideas as to where the drop in volume might originate?  I thought at first that the battery might be an old one, but should this matter if it's running from the adaptor?

Any ideas welcome, thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4176
    It's not one of the ones with a boost is it? And the boost mode has been turned right down/pot has moved?
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4918
    Hmm, no mention of a boost mode anywhere on the pedal, and it only has one foot-switch at the toe, nothing at the heel, so I guess not, @skullfunkerry .  Would there be any obvious sign externally?  (I haven't opened it up yet, was hoping not to!)

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14446
    Might be worthwhile squirting some electrolube into the pot.

I do not know whether the inductor is adjustable on the GCB-95.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4176
    Nitefly said:
    Hmm, no mention of a boost mode anywhere on the pedal, and it only has one foot-switch at the toe, nothing at the heel, so I guess not, @skullfunkerry .  Would there be any obvious sign externally?  (I haven't opened it up yet, was hoping not to!)

I think the ones with a boost usually have a little button on the right, near the heel. Doesn't sound like this one has it.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26613
    Moved to FX.
    <space for hire>
  • WYNIR0WYNIR0 Frets: 359
    I have that model. No volume drop on mine when I turn it on.

monquixote said:
    I agree with WYNIRO much as personally I think he is a total cock.

• ColsCols Frets: 7012
    The most obvious potential cause if it ‘wahs’ properly would be a faulty foot switch which isn’t passing signal fully when the effect is engaged.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8713
    It's not one of the ones with a boost is it? And the boost mode has been turned right down/pot has moved?
    The 95Q has knobs and a switch, and is easily identifiable, so it’s probably not that model:

Hopefully it’s a switch contact problem, which can be sorted by taking the base off by unscrewing the feet, and using contact cleaner. It might also be a loose wire. Wahs are liable to physical damage because they get kicked around. I’ve had both of those problems in the past.

If it’s an electronic problem then the solution depends on how old it is, and that’s where we need @ICBM.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    IMG_0150.jpeg 304.9K
  • WYNIR0WYNIR0 Frets: 359
    edited March 15

Base of mine, same model as OP
    monquixote said:
    I agree with WYNIRO much as personally I think he is a total cock.

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4918
    @WYNIR0 - yes, that's exactly the same model as the one we have. 

I'll take it apart and try some contact cleaner in the pot, and look for any other signs of damage. 

@digitalscream - sorry about that, it seems I had inadvertently hidden the "FX" section  :s

Thanks for all replies.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72389
    Roland said:

If it’s an electronic problem then the solution depends on how old it is, and that’s where we need @ICBM.
    Not sure, but it’s a simple circuit and not difficult to troubleshoot. I don’t think it’s a failed choke, as the symptom of that is that it becomes a volume pedal rather than quiet.

The switch would be the first suspect, but if the volume is *consistently* low, it may not be that…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    Is the foot switch not engaging correctly maybe when 'on'?
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12905
    Stupid question: are you plugging it in the right way round?

My, erm, friend told me that's a thing you should check. Don't ask me, I mean him, how he knows. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom