Scratch remove

What's Hot
asanmalasanmal Frets: 6
Hello everyone! Noticed a scratch on my guitar, not a big deal, but it's pretty deep and annoys me. The finish is poli. How can I get rid of it? Like I said, it's pretty deep, so is it possible without sanding?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• inewhaminewham Frets: 138
    Jewellers rouge is pretty gentle but it might soften the edges and make the scratch less noticeable. It won't get rid of it but it helps stop the light catching the edges. Be ready for a lot of rubbing though.

Ian
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14267
    tFB Trader
    Try Meguiars Scratch X2.0 - fine for subtle marks 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5169
    Learn to embrace the scratch and use it a metaphor for life…..nothing is perfect & nor should it be….right, that’s me done for dishing out wisdom tonight, I’m off to lay down in a darkened room…..
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1425
    Some will swear by t-cut, personally, I find it's a little too aggressive, I like Lime Prime from DoDo Juice, its a diminishing compound. You can buy a little sample size.

https://dodojuice.net/collections/polishing-machine-polishing/products/lime-prime-100ml-fine-cut-polish-and-pre-wax-cleanser
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Brasso and a duster
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 366
    I wouldn’t worry about it.. about 2hours after getting my Atkin home I put a massive scratch in the back of it. Buckle rash without the buckle. 
    At least you’ve got the first dink out of the way now and can stop thinking about it…
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7032
    tFB Trader
    If it's "pretty deep" then rubbing compound won't get rid of it. You'll need to sand the area level first and that risks standing through the colour coat.

Leave it is my advice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CasabgCasabg Frets: 14
    I've used a product called guitar, scratch remover in the past, two different compounds with different strengths, red for deeper scratches, blue for more superficial marks, used in combination and I've had quite good results. Historically
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    Poly is best regarded as essentially irreparable. 
    For deep dings through to the wood the best option is to try to touch in with a matching colour, but it'll always be visible on close inspection
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7032
    edited March 16 tFB Trader
    strtdv said:
    Poly is best regarded as essentially irreparable. 
    Often but not always. If too deep to buff out, clearcoat damage can be filled with super glue and flatted then buffed to a shine.

If the colour is missing then  it can be touched in with matching lacquer or nail polish before top coating with super glue as above. 

Any finish repair requires a deft touch though as it's very easy to make things much worse. I've refinished guitars where the owner has tried to sand out a scratch and it's escalated badly!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • asanmalasanmal Frets: 6
    Sorry for answering late, thanks for advices, won't touch it for some time, maybe will get another one and won't be annoyed with the old :)