Power lead for old Midas amplifier.

What's Hot
MunchkinMunchkin Frets: 15
Can anyone help me find a power lead?

I bought Vivian Stanshall’s ‘Woman’ amplifier at auction recently and it didn’t come with a lead.

it was made in about 1974.

Here is a link to the details with a picture of the back of it and the three prong power socket at the back:

https://www.dawsonsauctions.co.uk/auction/lot/310-a-midas-guitar-amplifier-from-the/?lot=78569&sd=1

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• springheadspringhead Frets: 1596
    That's just an ordinary IEC connector. CPC, Amazon etc will have a suitable lead. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MunchkinMunchkin Frets: 15
    Thanks Springhead. It looks like those old black leads you got with video recorders and the like.

the two knobs next to it hold fuses.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72369
    Luckily that's already been changed to a standard IEC 'kettle' lead. (Pedants will point out that it's not a kettle lead because it doesn't have the hot-condition notch. :) ) I thought you were going to ask for a Bulgin, which it was probably fitted with originally but are illegal now. Don't re-fit it with one of those, even in the interests of restoring it to original condition - they're potentially dangerous as well, which is why they're not used any more.

Any standard IEC13 cable will do.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MunchkinMunchkin Frets: 15
    Thanks ICBM and Springhead.

its unclear how much the amp actually got used. I have some photos taken of Vivian Stanshall and Friends at Manchester Uni in late ‘75 and Vivian is playing an electric guitar but there’s no sign of the Woman amp.

Andy Roberts used it when he went over to Vivian’s place to rehearse and I’m going to be taking it down to Andy’s so we can see if it still works.

Getting the painted canvas out of it will be the first task because that has several small rips in the canvas that need repairing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom