Charvel DK22 SSS or San dimas pro mod HSS

What's Hot
NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
edited March 18 in Guitar
Who's got one? Are they good?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    A friend of mine has the DK22 HH with the Gotoh 510 non-locking vibrato. The huge frets and compound fingerboard radius help it play very nicely, thank you.

My main grumble with the DK22 is that I do not trust myself with the Gotoh 510 vibrato. I inevitably mistreat it - as if it is the double locking system that I take for granted on Charvel guitars. I tend to throw the guitar out of tune. (SHORT VERSION: If you want to divebomb, buy the Floyd Rose-equipped variant.)

Clever switching makes four of the five selections noise-cancelling. The No-Load™ tone pot probably helps to retain some high frequency content from a "dark" trio of pickups when played through a clean amplifier channel.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    edited March 18
    Bumping this as I'm also now looking for views on the pro mod san dimas hss
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1293
    Had the dk22 sss, well it's a hss actually.
    Great neck shape, good trem, loved the no load tone pot. Dinky body felt too small for me, also the way the bridge bucker is positioned made it sound too dark to my taste. You could use the no load feature to compensate but that made the other positions 'shout at me'. 

Also not sure how important it is but the fretboard due to being unfinished got stained a bit after a few weeks of playing and on all other guitars with that kind of finish the Ernie Ball fretboard condition Wonder Wipes I use have always done a great job leaving the surface spotlessly clean. This one though I couldn't get rid of the marks and it made me wonder whether the wood they used and finishing process were of decent quality. 
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 798
    I have the HH San Dimas in black sparkle, since swapped the pickups to Oil City Blackbirds which are awesome. Now I’m used to re-stringing the Floyd rose I don’t mind it, and the tuning stability is rock solid.

The other thing I changed was the tremolo arm and socket - stock one was a screw-collar thing which was always coming loose, I fitted a push-in socket and arm with a grub screw and it’s far better.

Neck is absolutely to die for - speedy, but substantial enough that it doesn’t feel skinny.

• LeeLadLeeLad Frets: 1
    I've got a HSS San Dimas Pro (in pearl white). It's my first 'super strat' but I'm a big fan. It needed a little setup from new as some of the frets were scratchy but its super easy to play, ergonomics are great and amazing neck.
    The floyd rose seems to keep everything in tune, even with some 'abuse'.

The pick up configuration also makes it an incredibly versatile guitar. It can 'chug' on the bridge humbucker or you can get split the humbucker with various combination of the single coils for some great tones using cleaner amp settings. I had originally wanted a HH setup but glad I went HSS. Def worth trying one :)
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1655
    buy a MIJ Charvel Model 3 instead...  and if you like the colour "Burgundy Mist"... pm me
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?