Braided sleeve diameter for guitar cable (TechFlex ?)

cathodynecathodyne Frets: 24
edited March 16 in Making & Modding
I’m constructing some guitar cables and want to put a braided sleeve on. I’m thinking of getting TechFlex Flex PET, but it’s unclear which diameter to get.  The Sommer cable I have is about 7.5mm diameter, but do I go for the 1/4" sleeve, or 3/8", or what?

I’d be grateful to hear your experience if you’ve done this, and your advice.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28388
    There's a chart on the product page. You need the size with a maximum larger than your cable (and plugs if you're putting them on first), or it won't fit through, and a minimum smaller than your cable, or it won't pull back snug.

The 1/4" expands to 11.1mm, and shrinks to 3.2mm. Depending on how you're assembling and the size of the plugs, it looks like anything from 1/4" to 1/2" could work. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • cathodynecathodyne Frets: 24
    Thanks @Sporky, I looked at the chart and there were at least 3 likely sizes that looked like they would fit (1/4" to 3/8").  I was thinking the same way as you regarding the cable diameter (7.5mm) being inbetween the min and max in the table.

What wasn't clear to me was which would be best, i.e. how they might affect the flexibility of the cable, or be too loose, so I was hoping to hear what people had found worked well (or not).
    I don't think it makes a lot of difference. As the diameter reduces the length increases. It'll all protect a cable, and it'll all make it stiffer.

The smaller the nominal diameter the fewer strands it has, so the more flexible but the less protective.

I think I used the 1/4 when I made braided cables. 
  • cathodynecathodyne Frets: 24
    edited March 17
    Thanks again @Sporky, that's really useful to know that 1/4" worked for you.  Also trading protection for flexibility sounds good to me - I wasn't aware of that relationship to diameter, I had been thinking that tighter would be less flexible - so I was getting that wrong! :-)
    I don't think there's really that much in it. I would say go a bit bigger, it makes it far easier to thread the xable through.