Fender serial number lookup and authenticity

What's Hot
steven70steven70 Frets: 1280
edited March 16 in Guitar
Hello.
Looking at a 2005 US strat on ebay,
It comes with paperwork and looks correct - only thing the serial number doesn't show up on the Fender checker.
https://serialnumberlookup.fender.com/lookup/

I know this is not always 100% but thought it was reliable post 2003 or so...

The S/N format matches for the year.

Should I be concerned and any other validation tools out there?

Thoughts appreciated - thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14353
    tFB Trader
    Can you post a pic on here of a) the serial number b) headstock and c) whole pic - I'm sure e can help to validate it - Not unusual to come across such an issue and I've come across it on more than one occasion on a guitar which is correct/kosher etc 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1280
    edited March 16
    Thanks - serial no was Z5148309 - its a 2005 American Series and looks legit have done some sanity checks.

I'll put some pics up tmrw...actually feel bad about doing that as the seller is a nice chap...which is silly cos I asked the question. I guess I should have asked - can there be issues with the Fender Serial Number checker - I think the answer is that there probably can.

If I do get it, will have the neck off and find out easy enough

Thanks for the reply and help.

• m_cm_c Frets: 1247
    I've got a 2003 US Strat that doesn't exist on the number checker, and I know it's genuine because I've had it from new.

Fender do state that not all numbers exist on their number checker due to various reasons, so I wouldn't be concerned if the number didn't exist.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3065
    My Fender Blacktop Tele Serial number comes back as a Tele maple neck with med jumbos, the Blacktops were apparently made between 2011 and 2015, the serial number on the neck begins MX15, does this mean its 2015? Is it likely to be contemporary to the rest of the production dates?

Or has it had a replacement neck?

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• m_cm_c Frets: 1247
    paulnb57 said:
    My Fender Blacktop Tele Serial number comes back as a Tele maple neck with med jumbos, the Blacktops were apparently made between 2011 and 2015, the serial number on the neck begins MX15, does this mean its 2015? Is it likely to be contemporary to the rest of the production dates?

Or has it had a replacement neck?

If you follow the links on the serial number checker, MX15 puts it as a 2015/6 Mexican made.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27195
    You can put a valid serial number on a fake guitar. People put way too much stock in this and not in the rest of the guitar. 

Post pictures or a link and we'll tell if it's real.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • geordie01geordie01 Frets: 22
    My USA strat does not show up either and I got it new from sound control in 1992.

edited March 17
    OK, seeing as I started this

Well it looked OK to me and I'd been after one of these, so I bought it in a moment of late night madness 
    Seller seemed decent and I paid a bit less from his store using PayPal.

https://reverb.com/uk/item/78010612-fender-american-series-stratocaster-2005-olympic-white
    S/N  Z5148309

It does say the tuning pegs are not original.

To be clear - I am / was absolutely not suggesting anything potentially dodgy with guitar or retailer - I just found it interesting that the serial no didn't show up. I'll have the thing soon anyways, so will do a review.

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3924
    edited March 17
    100% legit and plastic film still in places!? Looks virtually new. Locking tuner upgrade too. Very nice.
    Deadman said:
    100% legit and plastic film still in places!? Looks virtually new. Locking tuner upgrade too. Very nice.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2467
    Yes looks totally correct for a 2000-2007 American series. It also looks incredibly clean, good buy I'd say
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • jca74jca74 Frets: 355
    I never trusted this era of strat - their eyes are too close together...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 911
    My 1997 US Standard isn't recognised on the checker, i've also had from brand new so know it's genuine.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    edited March 18
    strtdv said:
    Yes looks totally correct for a 2000-2007 American series. It also looks incredibly clean, good buy I'd say
    Thanks.

Thanks all for the replies and reassurance. It's arriving Weds, yay

Cheers