Bandsaw choices

What's Hot
Hi folks 
been off the forum for a while (house renovations, several guitar builds, elderley parents going into care etc ) but back here now ! 

I’m buying a beefier bandsaw for my ongoing luthiery work and wondered if anyone has experience of any of these bandsaws and could give an opinion on pros and cons ….

I’ll be using it for resawing body and cap blanks and cutting headstock veneers as well as all the usual guitar tasks 

Laguna 14BX 
Laguna 14/12
Record Power Sabre 350
Record Power BS400

alternatively if anyone in the North is selling a heavy duty bandsaw please let me know   Budget is about £1800. 

any thoughts are most welcome 

PeteC 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've got the Record BS300  - bought secondhand with very little use on it and it's doing sterling work. Given the choice I'd definitely go that bit bigger, so between the 250 and the 400, most certainly the 400. Here's my take on the BS300. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Very interesting John - thanks 

i am currently 
    leaning towards the BS400 and having read a bit I would probably need the wheel kit, the fence upgrade they now do on the BS350, and maybe even an aftermarket top set of guide bearings rather than the flat blade guides on the BS400 

by the time Ive done the upgrades the cost is about the same as the Laguna 14BX but the Laguna is a 14” machine whereas the BS400 is a 16” machine and may have more grunt   

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4140
    There's a Sabre 300 coming out next month btw, estimates are £999.99 rrp
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    I’ve had the Laguna 14BX for two years. It met two criteria: able to slice 13” body banks, and a single phase motor powerful enough to cut up some recently felled trees. In that time I’ve used it for ripping trunks, resawing, and cutting body caps and veneers, plus the obligatory bandsaw box.

In making my choice I also looked at the Record Power BS400 and Sabre 450, which are slightly larger and more powerful. What I particularly liked about the Laguna is the foot brake, which stops the blade in less than a second.

Mine came with the wheel kit, which I swiftly abandoned because my workshop floor is too uneven. Instead I made a dolly with lockable 10cm castors. If you want a wheel kit you can have mine.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks gg and Roland.  

Thats interesting stuff Roland.   I was leaning towards the BS400 thinking it would have more “beef” to tackle thicker stock and resawing but it sounds like the Laguna copes just fine with tougher stuff - even in a 14” saw.   The offer of the wheel kit would be great if I go with the Laguna.    Still mulling it over.   Any pros and cons with the Laguna ? 
    Dust extraction ports are in different positions. I don’t think that either design works particularly well. Instead I hoover out the cabinet every few minutes. I’m pondering using HPLV extraction from closer to the cutting point which would hopefully take out most of the dust, allowing me to hoover out the cabinet at the end of the day.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4140
    Roland said:
    I’ve had the Laguna 14BX for two years. It met two criteria: able to slice 13” body banks, and a single phase motor powerful enough to cut up some recently felled trees. In that time I’ve used it for ripping trunks, resawing, and cutting body caps and veneers, plus the obligatory bandsaw box.
    Just out of curiosity, how often are you slicing 13" body blanks?? That's a massive cutting depth! :open_mouth: I see the appeal of 1pc bodies if ripping from huge pieces, but I won't be building in any sort of volume to warrant that.
    Body blanks, one or two a year, but that’s not the only thing I use the saw for. Last year I was cutting 12” end grain bowl blanks for turning plates and fruit bowls. This year I’ve planked a Laburnum trunk, and there’s two Apple trunks to deal with when I get the time. It’s not about the volume, but having the capability when I want it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Hi 

I'm going with the Laguna 14BX - @Roland ;I will pm you about the offer of the wheel kit. 
    cheers
    Pete

• SteveFSteveF Frets: 538
    Just saw this - good choice.  I have the 14/12 and the build quality seems excellent.  I'm sure the BX will be awesome!
    Yep - arrives Wednesday and will be put straight to use.   Looking forward to having a great bandsaw in the workshop 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom