What new amp (like no one has ever asked before) but with specific choices

What's Hot
spev11spev11 Frets: 332
So the amp itch has settled on me and I'm on the lookout, budget is limited to ideally £300 or under, current list is 
Laney Loudpedal
Laney Foundry IronHeart Dualtop
Used Marshall DSL20H (Richtone have one)
Used Marshall DSL40CR ( bit over budget and its a combo)
Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18 head (Andertons have one)

outside runners (price depending and availabilty) are
PRS MT15
Laney ITR15 Studio (the rack mounted one with the 2 EQ's one per channel)
Laney IronHeart 30 combo (seems to be going up in price)

I'd prefer a head as I have somehow ended up with 3 cabs (an Orange 1x12, a little subzero cab with a 10" VTJr and a Subzeo with a 12" Greenback stuffed into it)

I've got a Plethora X3 for reverbs etc, a rat, TS and an Ibanez 850 mini fuzz for noisy stuff so modelling not a requirement.
I run the gammut from crystal clean all the way to modern chug metal. I'm not trying to sound like anybody as I have enough difficulty sounding like me nevermind anybody else.
 I'll not rule out much to be honest as long as I can have two channels (a clean one and at least a bit dirty, a filthy chuggy one would be best though :) )

I'm hovering over the Laney options really but i'm unsure if I can live with the loudpedal being on the floor and I'm not sure how good the cleans are on either.
Anyway , chuck your h'penny in and point me at something (bonus's given for options that end up at GuitarGuitar as I have a bit of credit there)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spev11spev11 Frets: 332
    forgot the handicap runner in the race, the Tonex Pedal. It has two things going against it, one its IK multimedia and they have recently pissed me right off, two is i'm not sure that it will actually do the thing I want it to do (run any amp, clean, modern, bluesy etc etc) without having to spend more on top ( I've read so many things about the free amps and presets not being great and the purchasable ones making all the difference) but at £369 or so I'd hope it would be brilliant without extra spends.
    Further down the line I might then add a FRFR (like the positive grid one)
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 291
    In terms of your list, I can only comment on the Laney IRT studio. It will do clean and dirty, and the boost works well. It can be surprisingly loud for 15 watts, but has a 1 watt option. In my experience, it won’t do chug metal, but can with a drive pedal.
    one up for the IRT Studio, I've not problem pushing anything with a drive, the loudpedal is still calling me though. I'm in no rush as I have an amp that works (mostly) and this time I'm going to try and make the right, informed choice.
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1505
    To me, the natural choice would be Marshall 20W head into the cab with the greenback.  
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    spev11 said:
    forgot the handicap runner in the race, the Tonex Pedal. It has two things going against it, one its IK multimedia and they have recently pissed me right off, two is i'm not sure that it will actually do the thing I want it to do (run any amp, clean, modern, bluesy etc etc) without having to spend more on top ( I've read so many things about the free amps and presets not being great and the purchasable ones making all the difference) but at £369 or so I'd hope it would be brilliant without extra spends.
    Further down the line I might then add a FRFR (like the positive grid one)
    I love my tonex but it did require buying 3rd party captures.

based on the freely available ones I would have sold it on very quickly.

There was one in the classifieds recently at a very good price along with loads of captures.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 843
    Of those choices - Id take the H&K Tubemeister in a heartbeat.    I wouldnt even be considering the others. 
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    I've had the Hughes and Kettner grandmiester and the laney irt studio. 

I found the clean channel on the GM36 wasn't great, abit sterile but the gains were rea good. I mostly used lead and ultra channels rather than the crunch as I don't think it did much for me the time. However, I did find having a dummy load was super useful (but you'll need an IR for anything useful into a DAW, for example). I did find the midi was super awesome for presets and the like, esp when I linked it up with an M5, made my life single tap easy, esp with the h and k footswitch. 

The Laney was really good, I didn't use the crunch channel again because it went a little flabby when I was dailing it in. I linked this with a g major and a matrix power amp and I was gigging for ages with it. What I would say it that the cleans on the Laney were better. No midi wasn't a deal breaker, but I had to look at using the footswitch or the relays on the g major to change channels so had it to go between the clean and lead channel

In conclusion, both are pretty sweet, both have great sounds inside. If I had my money again, I like to try the TM18 and may well end up with that ....
  • RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 187
    I’d get the PRS. Used to own one- does everything really well. The Marshall DSLs aren’t up to much.

Or push your budget & look at the SC20. Also owned one of those, only replaced it when I came across a bargain 2205.
    Only thing I wondered about the MT15 is there's no master volume so if you crank the cleans to keep up with a drummer, you may loose out on...uhhh
    .. clean cleans...
  • FlotsamFlotsam Frets: 53
    The MT15 drive channel is fantastic but it goes from high gain to very high gain. It’s also voiced Mesa Dual Rec and not Marshall. A good classic crunch isn’t easily found there, in case that’s important to you.
    closest I come to gigging is jamming with a couple of mates, one bass player, on guitarist, no drummer. It's for me to enjoy mostly at home for a bit of dicking about and home recording but I like the head setup over combos. Ideally I'd win the lottery and buy amps for specific jobs but until then something that'll cover some ground is the order of the day.
    All good advice though from all of you ta. I'm being patient this time, missed out on the H+K that Andertons had so i'll keep looking for now. Frustratingly Richtone have a couple of good looking options but the wont ship them and i'm not driving to Leeds to pick up a 300 quid amp

• RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 187
    Oh yeah, forgot you need to have the gain on 0.5 & roll off to get a crunch tone on the PRS. Still sounded cool.
    spev11 said:
    Frustratingly Richtone have a couple of good looking options but the wont ship them and i'm not driving to Leeds to pick up a 300 quid amp
    Leeds? Don't you mean Sheffield? 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   

Yorkie said:
    spev11 said:
    Frustratingly Richtone have a couple of good looking options but the wont ship them and i'm not driving to Leeds to pick up a 300 quid amp
    indeed, my apologies to denizens of both cities for mixing them up
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    spev11 said:
    Yorkie said:
    spev11 said:
    indeed, my apologies to denizens of both cities for mixing them up
    I'm only seeking clarification in case you didn't know where RTM was and Sheffield's closer to you than Leeds :smile: 

I'm in South Wales, Swansea, either are quite a long way away. Given the rivalry between Swansea and Cardiff down this way (and the insanity that creates) I'd imagine a similar madness afflicts Leeds and Sheffield on sporting occasions 
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4136
    I've got both of these:

Laney Loudpedal
    Laney Foundry IronHeart Dualtop

I prefer the latter as it has more features, including reverb. Also I find all those cables going in and out of a pedal a bit untidy. The head is much better than regard. And it lights up red - which is important!

As to the sounds. I think it sounds fabulous. I'm running it through a 2x12 V30 cab made by Harley Benton.

The clean channel is great for pedals, and the dirt channel is great for chuggy chuggy nonsense. I'm very happy with mine, and the price is just silly for all the features you get.

edited March 18
    spev11 said:
    I'm in South Wales, Swansea, either are quite a long way away. Given the rivalry between Swansea and Cardiff down this way (and the insanity that creates) I'd imagine a similar madness afflicts Leeds and Sheffield on sporting occasions 
    I was in Cardiff on the weekend and they have one of them new Laney Ironheart heads in stock, but not much else sadly. I was interested to look at one but didn't have time to try.

I believw A strings in Pontypridd sell HandK stuff (they did, but not now, just checked)
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    I have the H&K Tubemeister 18 combo (10" speaker) and it's a very nice and versatile little amp. Cleans can be pristine, but that channel crunches up nicely, and the lead channel starts there and goes up to a huge amount of drive. Another nice thing is the built in attenuator, down from 18W to 1W and silent if you want it.

The combo is nice and compact, but the amp is not particularly well-served by the small cab and budget speaker (Celestion Ten 30). Running it through my Zilla cab really opens it up, so I think a Tubemeister head could be a good option given the range of cabs you already have.

I have to be honest though - I prefer the Quilter Superblock amps! :)