How to get a DJ scratching effect?

What's Hot
DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5516
We're planning doing Sabotage by Beastie Boys and I want to do the DJ scratching sounds with my guitar. I've got a Whammy pedal but can't quite figure out the best way to achieve it.
Any tips?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3255
    I think Tom Morello gets a similar effect by scraping the strings whilst using a kill switch.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5516
    edited March 17
    Yeah I was trying to find a Tom Morello tutorial vid, he's got quite a few but couldn't find a scratching one.
    I've got a guitar with two volumes and a 3-way toggle switch so that's worth a go for 'killswitch' but I assumed there'd be a Whammy involved somehow
  • TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 188
    We do Sabotage, and I get the scratching thing just by scraping the pick along the low wound strings. You can change the pitch to a certain extent simply by changing the speed. It's not perfect but in the mix is definitely good enough. 

To be clear I have the pick perpendicular to the strings, and run it along the low E, in the direction of the string. Using the long edge/side of the pick, not the tip.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 921
    Pretty sure he demonstrates it in his Rig Rundown. Been a while since I watched it though

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 662
    Killswitch works OK with scratchy/fuzzy sustain. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16296
    The Rainger FX Break Box has a built in scratch pad thing. I think (might be wrong) that the pedal needs to be in on mode though which is high gain distortion and optional weird chorus. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 992
    there'd be a certain irony by sampling it from a 90's rap video and triggerring it...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NicoAdieNicoAdie Frets: 30
    Pick scratch -> distortion -> some sort of random out of tune pitch shift...et voila.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6716
    edited March 18
    Morello used to do it with an Allen Key
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5516
    Right, I'll give some of these a go. Cheers!
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2900
    edited March 19
    Allen key was for People Of The Sun intro I think. For the scratching in Bulls On Parade I seem to remember a video of him saying it's just his hand, then he boosts the front of the amp with an EQ pedal, I guess with more highs to enhance the scratch. 

Or you could take inspiration from the Cancer Bats version with a wah

• jhumberjhumber Frets: 238
    As well as a pick scratch, try just swiping your RH open fingers back and forth along the strings…the more gain you use, the more pronounced it’ll be. Real simple to do, doesn’t involve changing your pick grip (fingers 2-3-4 will do it), and sounds pretty effective.