Keeping a guitar for sentimentality?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    edited March 18
    Put different pickups and heavier strings on it? Sounds like that would solve the problem! 
    Already done! I've replaced the original ceramic bar ones with Bareknuckles, can't imagine anything else being "better" (though you be fair the vintage polepiece stagger with the high G and low B is a bit of an annoyance)

I've toyed with the idea of changing the body (part of what I don't like is the transient attack/lack of sustain which I think the poplar body and tremolo bridge are responsible for, so I could change it to an alder hardtail, but at that point it's a bit of a Trigger's broom situation.

I think I'll probably buy something else and then see if it gets pushed out in the process of finding space for the new guitar

Currently I've an acoustic which is staying put as I don't play it enough to justify the £3k a significant upgrade would cost, I've the Strat, I've an AVHR 52 Tele which I do 90% of my playing on, I've a fanned fret 8 string which is actually quite good for creative block as it's a totally different approach to playing it, and I've a bouzoiki and mandolin which both have their place for trad music and for when I fancy something different from guitar. 
    I've also got a 70's Kay which I noodle on and lives in the bedroom which I may or may not keep (it was given to me by a friend).

I fancy another Telecaster (either custom shop or something more "modern" playing) so I'll keep an eye out and see if it pushes out the strat
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tall_martinTall_martin Frets: 219
    My mate persuaded me not to sell my first instrument back in 1997.

Every time I pick it up I'm glad I haven't sold it. 

It's a 1978 music master bass. Not super valuable, but I'm not strapped for cash so it can stay. 

On the other hand I've just bought a tandem. It's a kiddie back so for kids up to 10. The bloke I bought if from clearly loved it, but his kids are at uni. 

It's absolutely massive. When my kids have finished with it, it's 100% getting sold.  If it doesn't work with my kids it's also getting sold

There the bass, not taking up space or being valuable, there's the tandem which will take up loads of space.

There always the option ,( if you have the space) to just put it away for a bit.

The bass spent 3 years on loan to a mate. Could you lend the guitar to someone who will get some use out of it?

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22880
    Most of mine which have true sentimental attachment are also too knackered to sell, so I guess I'm keeping them.  I've owned those for 35 years or more.  I've got loads of more recent acquisitions which I'd be reluctant to sell, but also loads I'd get rid of tomorrow if I could be bothered to go through the selling process.
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 647
    Sell it. 
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1561
    I had this recently with my Precision Bass. I was seriously attached as it was my first and only bass, and stemmed from times of glory. But, that was over thirty years ago and it has spent most of its time in a cupboard since.

So I sold it to some close friends for them to make use of it. I reckoned that was the only way I would have let it go (damn you sentiment !).

Either keep it, or (if you do want to liberate yourself), try finding someone to take it who actually needs it (preferably who you may know).

But don't just sell it online for £400 - you may regret that...
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    edited March 18
    I have a 64 Harmony Sovereign since 1964  that  almost unplayable .Been played to death with heavy strings and a broken truss rod that slowly pokes its nose out  when played and gets whacked back in ,plus  needs a neck rest .Some greats at Les Cousins ahave played it  when mucking about  back in the day .I did wonder whether to try and get The Repair Shop prog to have. a go at it .
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    Lock down the bridge and fit it with a new pickguard with a HS or TS configuration… ie turn it into something like a Tele, but not quite a Tele.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 187

Unless you are desperate for that £600 or so quid? 
    Wanna buy my MIM? 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    I'd keep it if I was in your position. Its the first guitar and a reminder of where it all started. Well, mine was anyway. 5 years ago I had my first guitar upgraded by changing everything under the bonnet. Its a 1997 squier affinity strat I got when I was 13 years old. I grew up trying to play on it and did my first gigs on it. So I had 2 options. Sell and get a Mexican or American standard or put it into storage. I didn't want to sell it and certainly didn't want to store in the loft gathering dust so I upgraded it. 

It now plays beautifully (thanks to the help from @FelineGuitars) and its the most played guitar in my collection as I'm a tutor and still used it today. The guitar is now 27 years old and I hope to keep it for another 27!!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeflonTeflon Frets: 225
    I have a '78 Strat that was my first proper guitar. It's a lovely thing, but never gets played. It won't ever get sold though, as it has so many memories attached to it. My first actual guitar was a £15 Egmond Luck 7. The action was probably measured in whole inches and it was basically unplayable. I struggled with it for a while before "upgrading" to a Satellite Les Paul (and yes, it really was an upgrade!) and the Egmond got binned. Now, some 46 years later, as bad as it was, I wish I still had the Egmond, even though it wouldn't get played.

Unsurprisingly then, my answer is "keep it". You'll only ever have one "first guitar", and once it's gone it can never be replaced.

Cliff
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3128
    Keep it and spend the difference in what you expect to get for it and what you expect to pay on a Fender Tele, on a Harley Benton 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    Well I've an incoming NGD (paid a deposit today but with the bank holiday it'll be tomorrow when I pick it up) so I'll see whether the strat stays or not.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9676
    Keep it. I made the mistake of selling my first electric (a Squier Affinity Tele) and have regretted it ever since.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1504
    edited March 18
    From someone whose first guitar died in a flood… keep it, and keep it safe. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• slackerslacker Frets: 2240
    Another keep it comment. Teles are better but sometimes you need a strat.
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 647
    edited March 18
    All my previous guitars are long gone. No regrets. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    ...the cold realisation that my 50 year old Fender Strat I have been faithful to since its journey began is not nearly as good as my modern Harley Bentons...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I have kept my 1979 EKON six string acoustic purely because it is the first steel string acoustic I bought and it actually sounds reasonable. I could flog it for £150 but I'd only be frittering away a bit of my youth ... and at my age I value highly any fond memories.

I'd keep it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom