Incoming NGD: red relic

What's Hot
strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
edited March 18 in Guitar
We've a significant anniversary this year and Mrs strtdv has been looking for something significant to buy me. 
I've had a notion of a Telecaster with an alder body and rosewood fretboard to complement the maple/ash of my '52 hot rod.
I spotted this on Facebook and although I'm not usually a fan of relics it otherwise ticked all the boxes so I thought I'd try it. 

Looks like I'll be bringing it home tomorrow!

Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    edited March 18
    It's a custom shop '59 Tele in candy apple red. The finish is amazing in person, you can see the woodgrain through it

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12368
    Congrats, happy NGD. Got to love a custom shop.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14267
    tFB Trader
    strtdv said:
    It's a custom shop '59 Tele in candy apple red. The finish is amazing in person, you can see the woodgrain through it

As it is a solid finish, I assume you mean you can see the finish 'sinking' into the grain - Which is common many similar CS models 
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2240
    I've got one just like it. Awesome guitar.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3907
    Lucky boy.
    @guitars4you yes, my butterscotch ash bodied tele does it to a lesser extent, but it's very pronounced on this one
  • jca74jca74 Frets: 334
    you can see the woodgrain through it

you certainly can where they took a belt sander to the lower bout!
    tFB Trader
    strtdv said:
    @guitars4you yes, my butterscotch ash bodied tele does it to a lesser extent, but it's very pronounced on this one
    Yes - a common feature and shows how thin the finish is
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22879
    jca74 said:
    Highly original.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1347
    Philly_Q said:
    jca74 said:
    Highly original.
    There’s always one…..
    Great looking Tele. Excellent buy!!
    edited March 19
    Full specs are:
    '59 Tele
    Alder body based on a 63 Tele
    Handwound 50-51 pickups
    '60 style oval C neck, quartersawn maple with AAA rosewood fretboard
    10" radius
    Medium frets
    7lbs 7oz (vs 6lbs 11oz for my hot rod 52 Tele)

The biggest difference between my two Teles (other than the pickups) is how different the attack is, my 52 seems to put most of what you put into the guitar into initial attack and bite, it really "twangs" like you imagine an ash Tele should. The 59 has much less initial bite, and far more sustain.
    With some EQ tweaking on the amp I find myself preferring the overdriven tones and smoother neck clean tones of the 59, while if clean twang is what I want the 52 does it better
  • PFAllen2PFAllen2 Frets: 244
    @strtdv That's an amazing guitar, I had a little noodle on it on Saturday morning past. It felt really great and if I recall correctly, it was a good deal. Enjoy !
    Click here for my Trading Feedback
    edited March 20
    @PFAllen2 yes I think the seller was suspicious I was buying to flip it! It's the opposite end of the tonal spectrum to my other Tele so complements it really well.
    My only gripe is the reliced saddle height screws mean they're effectively seized in place! I've tightened the truss rod an eighth but the action is still about .4mm above where I'd ideally have it at the 12th fret and more like 1.2mm at the 20th fret 
    edited March 19 tFB Trader
    strtdv said:

My only gripe is the reliced saddle height screws mean they're effectively seized in place! I've tightened the truss rod an eighth but the action is still about 0.2mm above where I'd ideally have it
    It is common for this to happen - You can take each saddle out (either all together) or one pair at a time - Drop them in a de-greaser for a day or so - Then see if that helps to loosen the height screw - If not, then I've been known to place the saddle in a vice - You have enough thread coming through at the bottom (not the slot head end as can easily break the screw driver slot head if to stiff) and try ease it out by holding on tight with a pair of pliers and twist - Or even hold the height screw (again by the base end) in the vice and try and twist by holding the saddle - Once you have worked it loose - take it out - Clean hole/thread and saddle with a brush to get rid of any rust/debris - You can even use a touch of light oil to lubricate, but be careful as the oil will attract dust in the future which can be just as bad in time to come - So if you use thin light oil, then kind of wipe on then off so barely any in play

That often works but I've known stubborn ones not move at all and sadly snap 

You can get replacement saddles and height screws from the likes of Callahan if required

If stiff don't adjust from the top as easy to snap those heads

See how it goes
    Yes I was hoping to get away without taking the saddles off the guitar but I think it'll take a vice or vice grips to get them loose (might be easier to get an aftermarket set and fit them and keep the originals in the case)
    tFB Trader
    strtdv said:
    Yes I was hoping to get away without taking the saddles off the guitar but I think it'll take a vice or vice grips to get them loose (might be easier to get an aftermarket set and fit them and keep the originals in the case)
    Good idea 

Final couple of pics of my brace of Telecasters
  • PFAllen2PFAllen2 Frets: 244
    Lovely photos, Slightly funny that your original guitar looks so new and shiny alongside your 'new' guitar. It's such a good relic finish, it just looks authentically aged and played in.
    Click here for my Trading Feedback
  • mankytommankytom Frets: 227
    That fretboard… beautiful